Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can you import OG cross sections?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
ksinnema
223 Views, 4 Replies

can you import OG cross sections?

Is there a way to import original ground cross sections into Civil 3D? For example, in EMXS you can survey on station and then the design and earthwork volumes are taken right off the cross section without creating a DTM. I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but just need confirmation.
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Depends on the format of those sections. If they are or can be exported as
polylines with elevation, then yes, we can import them into a Civil 3D
drawing and then build surfaces from them. Same idea if you can get points
exported from those sections. You can import the points, and build a
surface from them. If its a proprietary format, then probably not though.

--
Anthony Governanti
Autodesk, Inc.
Visit my blog: www.autodesk.com/wickedcoolstuff
I dig it! Do you? Join the Civil 3D Community Now!
http://civilcommunity.autodesk.com/

wrote in message news:5319522@discussion.autodesk.com...
Is there a way to import original ground cross sections into Civil 3D? For
example, in EMXS you can survey on station and then the design and earthwork
volumes are taken right off the cross section without creating a DTM. I'm
pretty sure the answer is no, but just need confirmation.
Message 3 of 5
apweng
in reply to: ksinnema

Hi Kari,

You can create sample lines at the surveyed cross section ocations to best approximate the cross sections. I'm sure you already know this. The closer the sample lines are to the surveyed points, the more accurate the cross section data will become.

Provided survey data picks up the highs and the lows lack of accuracy should not be an issue.

Andrew
Message 4 of 5
ksinnema

Hi Andrew,

Yes I already know that. The problem is that the surveyor wants to survey on station instead of random points, which means that the points aren't coded as edge of road, toe of sideslope/backslope, etc. I think I can bring the points in and create a surface, but there won't be any codes to create breaklines. And I hear that surveying on station and coding the points defeats the purpose of surveying on station, although it would be the best for accuracy.
Message 5 of 5
apweng

I see your issue.

This seems like a classic case of applying old school survey practices. Prior to DTM's surveyors staked an alignment in the field, and surveyed sections at the whole station locations. This is because design sections were created exactly where the cross sections were surveyed.

With DTM's you "pace" out the 20 metre intervals and survey cross section data. Also pick up the highs and lows. So there is no need to stake an alignment in the field for a pre-engineering survey. They should be using descriptions - it may make it easier in the filed but more difficult for the design. The entire process, as usual, needs to be considered.

Call me if you want to discuss further.

Regards,

Andrew

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report