Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sorting Data References

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
mnorton
594 Views, 8 Replies

Sorting Data References

How do you sort data references?

Mike Norton - The Civil Guy
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
troma
in reply to: mnorton

What does that mean?

Or, put another way;

"How do you sort data references?"

I don't.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 3 of 9
mnorton
in reply to: troma

I apologize for being so vague.  As far as I know they're only listed in one place.  Mine are not sorted alphabetically or numerically.  I have more than what I consider an average number of them and it would be helpful if they were in some order.  So, how do I sort data references?

Message 4 of 9
troma

Are you talking about mutiple data shortcuts in one project (alignmenst, surfaces, profiles etc.) or are you talking about ALL your data shortcuts from ALL your projects?  You shouldn't have all your different projects combined; the data shortcuts should be saved in different places.

Mark Green

Message 5 of 9
mnorton

Troma, you may be overthinking this question.  I have a single project with many, many surface references.  They are named DTM 1, DTM 2, etc.  I simply want to know if I can persuade them someway, somehow into something resembling a sequential order.

Message 6 of 9
troma

I may be overthinking the question, or I may be trying to define the question.  I feel like I succeeded in the latter. Smiley Wink

I don't think I can help.  I've noticed in the volume analysis panorama that the surfaces are listed in the order they were created, rather than alphanumerically.  Do you think the data shortcuts are listed in the oreder the surfaces were created or the order the data shortcuts were created, or is it totally random?

Mark Green

Message 7 of 9
mnorton

It's totally random.  Thanks for your effort.

Message 8 of 9
C3D_TomR

This sounds like a good wish list:

Data shortcuts in Toolspace should follow the format in Toolspace of other items. If you select Data Shortcuts-Surfaces, you should see a list of all the data referenced surfaces listed. Then, following similar formats, I should be able to sort by name or location. Additionally I should be able to select one or more of the references and right click to choose "Create Reference", "Promote", "Remove", etc.

Tom Richardson

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature
Autodesk Certified Professional in Civil 3D for Infrastructure Design
AutoCAD Certified Professional
------------------------------------
Autodesk AEC Community Blog
Crossing the line with Civil 3D
Twitter | LinkedIn
------------------------------------
Austin CAD User Group Resources
Blog | Discord | LinkedIn

Autodesk Group Network Leader

Message 9 of 9
wdbar

You could try removing the shortcuts from the data shortcut folder, refreshing the list and then copying back and refreshing again.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report