Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phasing a project

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
randylamere9198
663 Views, 5 Replies

Phasing a project

I have a project that was completed in 2009 Civil 3D but the client did not build the entire project and now wants to come back and break up the project and phase it.

What is the best way to do this so the design maintains its integrity, surfaces, data tables, profiles, links, etc.....

The company project setup is such that the original project was done in 2009 so the project is located on the 2009 folder. Can one simply copy and paste the entire project folder into the 2011 folder? I know the xrefs will all have to be re-routed to the new folder as well as re-naming base drawing (existing base, proposed base).

Or is the best practice to create the new folder, 2011, and then go into the old folder and do "Save As" to the new folder and rename the drawings at that point?

Its about a 50 lot project and my supervisor thinks this is a 2-3 day job but with all the entities that have to be changed, xrefs re-named and re-routed, links re-established, etc.....I think this is more like a weeks worth of work at least.....

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
mathewkol
in reply to: randylamere9198

Don't forget the DREFs. If you're looking for best practise then neither of your suggestions.

Leave them where they are and don't rename. Make a backup of all the files in the existing folder first. Why make work for yourself and add cost to the project simply for the sake of a folder name.

If you MUST move the files, it doesn't matter in the least if you use saveas or move the files in Explorer.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 3 of 6
randylamere9198
in reply to: mathewkol

so what you're saying is to leave the drawings in the original folder under the 2009 project and just phase the drawings out of that folder?

That makes total sense only the project has already been copied over into a 2011 folder and created this mess and I'm trying to clean it up in the most efficient way and in a limited time frame.....

Message 4 of 6
mathewkol
in reply to: randylamere9198

So it's been done already, too bad.  Well, then it doesn't matter which method you choose for cleanup.  They both will just take time.

Matt Kolberg
Message 5 of 6
billmobley4681
in reply to: mathewkol

Matt -

Your response to Randy's question was pretty harsh, don't you think?  And "too bad"?  Really?

What Randy was wanting to do was to run concurrent phases of a Civil 3D project - a pretty standard requirement for large projects.  Maybe a more polite answer would have been, "I'm sorry, Randy, but Civil 3D cannot do that."  Then, turn your gruff side to 'your' Autodesk developers and have them make this possible.

Bill

Message 6 of 6
mathewkol
in reply to: billmobley4681

Bill, I'm not sure why you're responding to a post that is a year and a half old without any information that is helpful to the OP.  Anyway, he did not find it offensive, in fact he thanked me offline for that.  I would not consider it good practice to respond as offended on someone else's behalf especially when the OP is not, in fact, offended.

It's very difficult to convey emotion in an online post and you've misunderstood my comment.  I've corresponded with Randy before and he understood my intent.  A replacement for "too bad" in my post would be "aww that's unfortunate", not the gruff "too bad!" like you've obviously construed.

Anyway, I see you're new so welcome to the forum.  I hope our future correspondance will be a little less strained.

Matt Kolberg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report