Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple questions that I need help on...

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Rubixcube10
943 Views, 7 Replies

Multiple questions that I need help on...

I've been building up a list of questions while using C3D and am hoping I can pick your brains and get some answers. 

1. INVERSE - I leave my points unflatten (don't know how to actually flatten them, which is another answer i'm looking for) and i'm trying to inverse between points and lines.  I know about the DIST function and it doesn't help me out in 3d mode.  Somehow I stumbled onto a tablet that let me inverse between points but don't recall how to get it again.  I also know about the CGLIST and it seems useful but when it gives me a bearing between the points it only does it in Degrees & Minutes, no seconds.  Do you have a better option for doing inverses?

2. Deed Rotation - I'm always accustomed to making a deed plot then rotating it to match the evidence in the field.  When I rotate it, it seems it doesn't work like I want it to.  If I rotate it holding a corner as the base, it rotates everything but the base and the whole figure gets messed up.  When I rotate it just picking a random spot it rotates fine but doesn't rotate exactly how I told it to.  It seemed to me that it rotated an extra 20-30 degrees.  I also tried to different ways to type in the rotation angle....52.3030 and 52d30'30".  What's the correct way to rotate a deed plot?

3. Misc questions - Arrow Head - how do you add a arrow head to a line?  at the moment I've been making a leader arrow and then copying it and putting it where I want it to go.

Custom Lines - I see the steps on a youtube page http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIdleZqu1XM   .  I was able to create some custom lines but when I try to use it in my drawing I keep getting a message saying "BAD DEFINITION @ LINE 2 OF FILE..."  I also noticed in the youtube when the guy makes these custom lines he was on a 60 scale.  So I don't know if I made my lines too long or short when creating the lines because I can't really tell exactly how long this line was when he made it on youtube.  Any thought?

Tree Lines - Exactly where can I find a tree line in this program?

4. Constraint - everytime I hook 1 line into another line, I get this small box that mentions constraint.  I usually just right click it and pick hide or delete.  But why is this always popping up when I do hook 2 lines to each other?

5. Cross Section - I was able to figure out how to do a cross section with the help of this youtube video   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXyAjOolmJk   I have no problems doing it but I guess when I make a cross section of a stream for our bridge work I'm supposed to show a cross section 50 feet past the bridge both ways along the stream.  I'm accustomed to a cross section looking down 1 way with the stream.  I'm told I'm supposed to show the 2 cross section lines both facing the bridge.  Is there anyway I can get 1 of the cross section to face the opposite direction?  Example is Bridge is in a E-W direction and Stream in a N-S direction.  So I go 50 north and need a view facing south, and I go 50 north and need a view facing north.  2 opposite directions.  Is this possible?

6. Funky Glitch - why is it when I move text, sometimes it just disappears and won't come back even after hitting the undo command.  I usually have to hop out of the program and restart it just to get things back to normal.

I would like to thank all the people that has helped me with C3d this year.  Have a happy New Year.Smiley Happy

Rob

HP Compaq 8100 Elite
Win 7 Pro SP1 - 64Bit
8GB RAM
i7 860 @ 2.80 GHZ

AutoCad Civil 3d 2012 SP1
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
wfberry
in reply to: Rubixcube10

OK Rubix:

Just a few things, perhaps you would fill out the "My Settings" on the right and at the top of this page.  Notice the info I have below my name.  This will be available whenever you post something.

Thanks

One thing at a  time.  INVERSE

From the Ribbon, select the ANALYZE tab, on the right end select the Inquiry Tool, you shoud see the options there.

DEED ROTATION, you may need to specify if you are using the Survey Database.

Tree Lines, Google is your friend, look for a lisp to run what you need here.

Funky Glitch, if using Civil 2012, you should have installed SP1 by now.

Bill

Message 3 of 8
Jeff_M

1a. The CGLIST uses the settings as set under the Drawing's Ambient Settings for Distance and Direction.

1b. The Points are 'flattened' by the style it uses. In the style's properties you set the 3DGeometry Point Display Mode.

2. 52d30'30" should work. What kind of object are you rotating? Lines & arcs, polyline, survey figure?

3a. Create a custom linetype using an Arrowhead block. Linetypes are defined in drawing units, so when creating them just think of how long do you want the lines & spaces on a plotted sheet. If you use the Express Tools MKLTYPE command it should make this process easier.

3b. Tree lines are available in the AeccLand.lin file

4. Not sure about this one.

5. Option 1: Add a second alignment and sample line.

Option 2: Create the section normally, then select BY WINDOW the section view & sections for that section. Explode twice, then select P, and Mirror. This removes the ability for the section to auto update so you would need to repeat the process if the design changes.

6. What version? Assuming 2012....install Service Pack 1.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 4 of 8
wfberry

One other thing in regards to INVERSE (somewhat).  Set the OSNAPZ = 1, if you draw a line between snapping to the point nodes, the line will be drawn at EL. zeo.  Assuming that AutoCad's  'Elevation" is set to zero.

Bill

Message 5 of 8
mathewkol
in reply to: wfberry

About number 4, is Infer constraints on?  And what do you mean by "hooking" lines together?

Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 6 of 8
Rubixcube10

Bill,

1. Thanks for explaining the INVERSE to me. 

2. Deed Rotation - I used create a line by bearing, no survey data base (i'm assuming) just lines.  No Points.  I usually add points to the deed corners after everything is in place where I want them to be

I added my computer info like you mentioned but I really don't know if I have SP1 installed.  The program was downloaded from the website and installed in May 2011.  My product version says F.51.0.0

Jeff,

1a. Thanks for explaining where to fix my CGLIST problem

1b. I'm assuming I choose "flatten points to ELEV" - Next point ELEV @ 0.00        Is there an easier way to flatten all points at the same time or do I have to individually pick each point style and change it that way?

2. I'm creating a deed plot using the bearings & distances.  The figure comes out in lines and not a polyline.  Here is a image of a rotation before and after when holding one of the corners.deedplot before rotation.png

Before

deedafter rotation.png

after.  You can see what corner I held to rotate by that transparent box.

3a. I pretty much got lost typing in MKLTYPE.  It sent me to a folder and didn't really know what was going on.  I see an arrow head in the symbol blocks.  I was just hoping there was just an arrowhead command I was over looking.

3b. I was able to get my boss to email me the Aeccland.lin file from his 2007 version.

5. (Then Select "P").  I don't understand this.  I type in P in command and it comes up as PAN.  I copied my cross section then exploded twice, skipped the P part & mirror the cross section.  Worked good but my original changed on me.  I guess that's where the "P" comes in to play

Matt,

I really don't know if Infer Constraints are on.  Example is after the deed plot at every angle point there are some blue boxes.  When you put your cursor over it another box shows up.  It actually says COINCIDENT but right click on it and you have an option to hide all constraints.  I'll attach a image for you.

constraint.png

Thanks for all of your help gentlemen

Rob

HP Compaq 8100 Elite
Win 7 Pro SP1 - 64Bit
8GB RAM
i7 860 @ 2.80 GHZ

Message 7 of 8
Jeff_M

@Rubixcube10 wrote:

I added my computer info like you mentioned but I really don't know if I have SP1 installed.  The program was downloaded from the website and installed in May 2011.  My product version says F.51.0.0 At Command prompt type in ABOUT. The dilaog will show your version in the upper left corner, if SP1 is loaded it will say "F.1.07.0.0 AutoCad Civil 3d 2012 SP1"

Jeff,

@1b. I'm assuming I choose "flatten points to ELEV" - Next point ELEV @ 0.00        Is there an easier way to flatten all points at the same time or do I have to individually pick each point style and change it that way? Each style used must be set that way. 

2. You can see what corner I held to rotate by that transparent box. It appears that the Constraint issue is causing this, but I haven't used constraints so not sure how to proceed to remove them.

3a. I pretty much got lost typing in MKLTYPE.  It sent me to a folder and didn't really know what was going on.  I see an arrow head in the symbol blocks.  I was just hoping there was just an arrowhead command I was over looking. After typing in MKLTYPE hit the F1 key, it will explain it and you should be able to figure it out fairly quickly.

3b. I was able to get my boss to email me the Aeccland.lin file from his 2007 version. Shouldn't have needed to do this, it gets installed with C3D in the main Support folder

5. (Then Select "P").  I don't understand this.  I type in P in command and it comes up as PAN.  I copied my cross section then exploded twice, skipped the P part & mirror the cross section.  Worked good but my original changed on me.  I guess that's where the "P" comes in to play After you explode twice, if you type in SELECT followed by P then ENTER all of the just exploded  section and sectionview objects will be selected for use in the Mirror command. I've never tried leaving the original SectionView, as I didn't want both in the drawing. 

Thanks for all of your help gentlemen 

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 8 of 8
Rubixcube10
in reply to: Jeff_M

I added my computer info like you mentioned but I really don't know if I have SP1 installed.  The program was downloaded from the website and installed in May 2011.  My product version says F.51.0.0 At Command prompt type in ABOUT. The dilaog will show your version in the upper left corner, if SP1 is loaded it will say "F.1.07.0.0 AutoCad Civil 3d 2012 SP1"

Jeff,

1b. I'm assuming I choose "flatten points to ELEV" - Next point ELEV @ 0.00        Is there an easier way to flatten all points at the same time or do I have to individually pick each point style and change it that way? Each style used must be set that way. 

2. You can see what corner I held to rotate by that transparent box. It appears that the Constraint issue is causing this, but I haven't used constraints so not sure how to proceed to remove them.

3a. I pretty much got lost typing in MKLTYPE.  It sent me to a folder and didn't really know what was going on.  I see an arrow head in the symbol blocks.  I was just hoping there was just an arrowhead command I was over looking. After typing in MKLTYPE hit the F1 key, it will explain it and you should be able to figure it out fairly quickly.

3b. I was able to get my boss to email me the Aeccland.lin file from his 2007 version. Shouldn't have needed to do this, it gets installed with C3D in the main Support folder

5. (Then Select "P").  I don't understand this.  I type in P in command and it comes up as PAN.  I copied my cross section then exploded twice, skipped the P part & mirror the cross section.  Worked good but my original changed on me.  I guess that's where the "P" comes in to play After you explode twice, if you type in SELECT followed by P then ENTER all of the just exploded  section and sectionview objects will be selected for use in the Mirror command. I've never tried leaving the original SectionView, as I didn't want both in the drawing. 

Jeff,

Thanks for the help and explaination.  I need to upgrade to the SP1.  The IT guys will do that sometime soon.  The MLKTYPE, after I hit F1, the website isn't available.

The cross section is working.  Thanks, I did it once so far and will continuing doing it.

Rob

HP Compaq 8100 Elite
Win 7 Pro SP1 - 64Bit
8GB RAM
i7 860 @ 2.80 GHZ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report