Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labeling lines

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
wbrustle
575 Views, 14 Replies

Labeling lines

Hi,

Everytime I use the label line command, when I go to plot my drawing I see a box around my label and the label is either chopped off or missing. A rectangle prints out around where the label is. Can someone please help me figure out how to fix this? 

-thanks

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
AllenJessup
in reply to: wbrustle

What kind of plotter are you plotting to? Do you have a background mask set for the labels?

Allen Jessup

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 15
wbrustle
in reply to: AllenJessup

I checked my label style and the background mask is set to false for labeling the bearings. Do you think it has something to do with me exploding the label? Sometimes I explode the label, because the wayit labels the line it is in the way of other objects

Message 4 of 15
AllenJessup

Very well could be. I don't explode the labels. What type of labels are you having trouble with.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 15
ericcollins6932

Sounds like the textmask got screwed up when exploding. Just apply textmask to the text again- usually works.

Eric Collins, P.Tech.(Eng.)

Win 10
Intel i7 9700 @ 3 GHz
16 GB RAM
Civil 3D 2019
Message 6 of 15
wbrustle
in reply to: ericcollins6932

ok....how do you re-apply text mask to text? I just tested it and it def. happens when I explode the label...I checked my plot preview and after I explode it, I see the rectangular box around label

Message 7 of 15
ericcollins6932

type textmask at the command line and click the text.

Win 10
Intel i7 9700 @ 3 GHz
16 GB RAM
Civil 3D 2019
Message 8 of 15
wbrustle

I tried the textmask and I can still see the rectangle. Sometimes I need to explode the labeled text, such as a bearing or distance because the surveyor may need to adjust the distance or bearing by a minimal amount so exploding the label  comes in handy for me sometimes. In LDD there was a setting also that you could make the labeling dis-associated, which I also used. Any more ideas would be helpful...thanks...basically I need to know if there is a way after labeling a line, such as a property line with a bearing and distance, to manipulate the label maybe without exploding text?

Message 9 of 15
rl_jackson

Instead of exploding the label why not right-click and select Edit Label Text, this accomplishes the same thing without the explode.

Inevitably you'll come across these situations, but I have found that 90% of the time I can simply edit the text to resolve issue.

Now, if you still need to explode label text that has a mask, explode it twice and then select a window around the approximate text mask area to erase, and unselect the exploded text label, this should get rid of the box for the mask area.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

EESignature

Message 10 of 15
jmayo-EE
in reply to: rl_jackson

I agree. The OP may want to confirm the settings in the attached.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 11 of 15
jmayo-EE
in reply to: jmayo-EE

The setings allow  you to drag the label off the line, hold the same rotation and omit a leader.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 12 of 15
ericcollins6932
in reply to: jmayo-EE

You may have to select the exploded boxes and delete. Get one of them highlighted, right click select similar and get rid of them all.

Win 10
Intel i7 9700 @ 3 GHz
16 GB RAM
Civil 3D 2019
Message 13 of 15
DaveM

When you explode a label the first time, it becomes a block. Then when you explode that block, the text mask comes in as a 3d face. you have to delete the 3d face to remove the dark box.

Thanks,
Dave

Civil 3D 2013
HP Z400 Workstation
6GB of RAM
296GB HDD
ATI FirePro V5700(FireGL)
Win 7 Home Professional
Please use Kudos Where Deserved

Message 14 of 15
troma
in reply to: DaveM

@dmartin wrote:

When you explode a label the first time, it becomes a block. Then when you explode that block, the text mask comes in as a 3d face. you have to delete the 3d face to remove the dark box.

Interesting.

In 2008 & 2011, it became a hatch.  But I just tested in 2013, and you're right, it's a 3D face.

But just the other day, I thought I exploded a label in 2013 and it actually became Mtext with a background mask!  Answer to years of wishes!  Was I just dreaming, or how did that happen?

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 15 of 15
wbrustle
in reply to: troma

Thanks sooo much!!!!...After exploding text twice and then selecting a window around the text mask to erase and then unselecting the exploded text label is exactly what I was looking for.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report