Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Label that includes PT#, ELEV, STA, OFF

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
rkmcswain
729 Views, 10 Replies

Label that includes PT#, ELEV, STA, OFF

Using 2011

We need a C3D label that can reference point data and alignment data.

IOW - when attached to a point, it needs to show the point#, elevation, station and offset from a given alignment.

Is there such an animal?

TIA

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Jeff_M
in reply to: rkmcswain

@rkmcswain wrote:

Using 2011

We need a C3D label that can reference point data and alignment data.

IOW - when attached to a point, it needs to show the point#, elevation, station and offset from a given alignment.

Is there such an animal?

TIA

Yes, but not OOTB. SincpacC3D is the only way (short of rolling your own) I'm aware of to do this:

http://www.quuxsoft.com/SincpacC3D_DynamicLinks.aspx

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 3 of 11
JessicaPalmer

Tia,

Yes. You need to add a Reference Text Component to a Station Offset Label Style.  Set the Reference Text Component to Cogo Point.  The only down side is that these labels will need to be individual placed.

Jessica Palmer

Jessica Palmer
Message 4 of 11
rkmcswain
in reply to: JessicaPalmer

@JessicaPalmer wrote:

Yes. You need to add a Reference Text Component to a Station Offset Label Style.  Set the Reference Text Component to Cogo Point.  The only down side is that these labels will need to be individual placed.

Jessica Palmer

I *knew* there was a way to do this!

OK, actually I was just fairly certain I had seen it before - thanks!

Now a follow up question - how do you reorder the components in a label style? Just because we add a new component, doesn't mean we want it at the bottom of the label....

Message 5 of 11

That depends on how the label was created. If it is a single block of text, you can insert the elements where you want them to go. If it is made of a number of text elements you can change what is anchored to what to adjust the order.

Cheers,

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 11
Sinc
in reply to: peterfunkautodesk

Can you answer why C3D is so esoteric?  I know all the rules for how things in Label Styles are arranged, and also know the rules for "As Composed" vs. "Stacked Text", but am constantly amazed at how unuseful this is.  Why is "As Composed" still broken, as far as the flip from left-to-right (or vice-versa) in the dragged state?  Or from another approach, why can't we format the size of text in the Label Style Composer (without using the hack of copy-and-paste from an MTEXT), so we can get "good behavior" with regards to text size while using "Stacked Text"...?  "As Composed" has been broken forever, and can't flip leaders from left-to-right in the dragged state, yet without the MTEXT hack, "Stacked Text" can't remember the text size when placed in the dragged state...  So what to do?

Sorry to vent, but C3D Labels are extremely frustrating...  And that's just my opinion, as a user.

But they haven't gotten any better since C3D 2005.  Why...?

Sinc
Message 7 of 11
Sinc
in reply to: Jeff_M

Oh, and the Sincpac-C3D adds the ability to create dynamic Sta/Off Tables, which is something you can't do with C3D out-of-the-box.  You can manage Labels, just not Tables.

Sinc
Message 8 of 11

@peterfunkautodesk wrote:

.......If it is made of a number of text elements you can change what is anchored to what to adjust the order.

I'll give that a shot.

A GUI for this would be great, where you could physically place each element without having to think about anchors, etc.

Thanks.

Message 9 of 11
jmayo-EE

If dragged states are used, check how each option Peter gave works. The dragged state appearance may influence how you build the label style as well.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 10 of 11
rkmcswain
in reply to: jmayo-EE

@Anonymous wrote:

If dragged states are used, check how each option Peter gave works. The dragged state appearance may influence how you build the label style as well.

Good point. These will only be dragged state, never left in place.

Message 11 of 11
jmayo-EE

Well now I'm happy that I crashed the party. 🙂

Be well.

John Mayo

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report