Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it OK to install C3D14 trial on C3D13 computer?

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
autoMick
603 Views, 17 Replies

Is it OK to install C3D14 trial on C3D13 computer?

Or is it abvisable? I'm getting close to subscription renewal time and I'm trying to decide whether it is worth keeping up with the C3D releases every year. One thing I wanted to try was to see if 2014 worked any better on the key things I need, but I don't want to stuff up my 2013 installation. Do you guys know if I can do a separate install safely?

Thanks

- Mick

Civil3d user in Australia since 2012.
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
neilyj666
in reply to: autoMick

don't think there would be a problem as I had 2013, 2012 and 2011 all installed at one time but perhaps it's more a case of seeing what has been broken this year

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 3 of 18
ToddRogers-WPM
in reply to: neilyj666

I am telling you right now, DON'T do it.  I did. It messes up the 2013 install very badly.  

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager
Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 4 of 18
neilyj666

is it not fit for purpose ?

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 18
ToddRogers-WPM

No, not yet anyway.  The coordinate systems disappear, the tool palettes get jacked up and the reports in the reports manager get all messed up too.  Amongst other issues.  A repair didn’t fix it either, so I just uninstalled it and I am using 2014 exclusively.

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager

Message 6 of 18
neilyj666

hmmm interesting have you logged a support call

EESignature

Message 7 of 18
ToddRogers-WPM

You know it!!

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager

Message 8 of 18
Jeff_M
in reply to: ToddRogers-WPM

I have 2009-2014 all installed and have not seen any of the issues you describe, Todd. Did you Migrate settings or something?
Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 9 of 18
ToddRogers-WPM
in reply to: Jeff_M

To be quite honest with you, I don't remember if I did or not.  Come to think about it, I think I did.  That would definitely cause this issue.

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager

Message 10 of 18

Hi,

>> The coordinate systems disappear

If it's command _ADESETCRDSYS to chose a coordinate system, then no, my (German) C3D2013 has not got effected by the install of C3D2014. Also the coordinate-system within the C3D drawing settings is ok.

I have 2010 and 2012 also installed, no problem (yet).

(or did you mean another command/option?)

>> the tool palettes get jacked up

My tool palettes look ok and tried some drag&drops, all fine.

>> and the reports in the reports manager get all messed up too

Tried a point-list, works fine, what report does not work or what messages do you get now?

(for question about migrating:)

>> To be quite honest with you, I don't remember if I did or not

(and the post after that)

>> A repair didn’t fix it either

I never ever do migration, if I have the chance I even remove this options by doing a user-defined installation and uncheck the migration option.

And if you have done a migration I guess a repair install alone will not help as it only repairs program and registry, but not the user-defined settings. That can be verified by resetting the AutoCAD-profile (from Windows start menu) or by creating a new user with a new Windows profile (at least also starting the secondary installer).

@OP

>> Is it OK to install C3D14 trial on C3D13 computer?

At least I won't do it as long as you are not quite sure that you will use it. Every installation of a software and uninstall makes the registry bigger and bigger, with every install and uninstall the workstation gets slower and slower.

I do my tests always with virtual machines (I prefer VmWare, but also MS has options for that), if this is defect I create a new one. And as long as it's not for performance-testing it is ok to run the tests in such an environment.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 11 of 18
BrianHailey
in reply to: Jeff_M

I too have not seen any issue and I have every version of C3D back to 2009 installed on my system without any noticeable differences.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 12 of 18
autoMick

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll try it out. Fingers crossed. Seems like migatating settings is something to avoid.

Regards

- Mick

Message 13 of 18
autoMick

Yes, I'm looking for a couple of vital things to be working well. I was also informed by tech support months ago that surface transparency will once again be available in 2014. If it's not and they've broken other stuff I think that will be the end of my subscription days.

Message 14 of 18
autoMick
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Alfred, that's a smart approach regarding using virtual machines. I skimmed over your reply earlier as I thought it was in relation to Todd's issues. I was a bit confused about the versions of vmware though? I'm thinking of putting it on a stand alone Win7pro 64 bit computer. Which version do  you use?

Regards

- Mick

Message 15 of 18
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

I (on my home-system) use VmWare-Player (>>>click<<<).

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 16 of 18
autoMick
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Thanks Alfred - I'll start there.

Regards

- Mick

Message 17 of 18
autoMick

Well at least 2D surface transparency is working again! Even better, I couldn't find any of my usual tools broken either.

But its virtually no change from 2013 that I can see. Fair enough that Autodesk concentrate on fixing bugs, but that doesn't justify a new version in my mind. Bug fixes should just be a service release.

Message 18 of 18
neilyj666

indeed....

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report