Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crazy contour - what am I doing wrong?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
elaine3051
748 Views, 5 Replies

Crazy contour - what am I doing wrong?

Every 9 months we need to build a Proposed site. It doesn't give me enough practice to problem solve. I have included a PNG of contour issues I can't seem to solve. This is the north end of a proposed equipment storage building. The North and east side have 5' @ 2% slope. Then there is a 4:1 to existing ground. The inside of the building has a 1% slope from south to north. This was built with feature lines and grading objects. What the heck is all the wiggly in my  gold contour line? I have tried to change contour smoothing. Does this have to do with tesselation settings? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: elaine3051

Pretty tough to determine from a screen grab, but the fan in the right corner looks suspicious to me

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Your Name

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
doni49
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Select your triangles or a contour.  Then right-click and choose "Object Viewer".  This will allow you to spin it around and look at just the surface from all angles.  I'm betting you'll see some serious spikes.  At the ends of those spikes are likely to be some blown points of some type.  And as Joe said, that fan looks really suspicous -- I'm betting that one or more spikes will be at that location.

If you need more help, try posting your dwg file -- if it's too large, try eliminating anything that's not part of the surface (after doing a save as first of course).

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 4 of 6

Also try clearing out the surface definition and rebuilding, im seeing a TIN line in between the feature lines that probably shouldnt be there.
Message 5 of 6

Looks like an area where a surface smooth edit would help....
I rarely have time to post. If what I post helps please use Accept as Solution / Like when appropriate.

Check out my Civil 3d blog at: http://c3dk.com/
Message 6 of 6
cwitzel
in reply to: elaine3051

A couple of things.  When you add your breaklines, make sure you use some Supplementing Factors.  We usually use distance 5 and Mid ordinate .10.  This also a greater number of triangles.

The reson your contours are squigly is because the large number of triangles coming from the corner to another breakline.  Each of these traingles is at a different angle thus the surface moves up and down slightly.

Another quick option that you can try is a Smoothing Edit.  for Area select either an area or the whole surface.  We usually use 5 or ten feet.  Denser is not always better.

Hope that helps.

Conan Witzel

Thanks,
Conan Witzel
Civil 3d 2021 SP1.1
Smoking BOXX Apex 2 Workstation

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report