Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C3D2013 SP1 - Any one taken the plunge??

50 REPLIES 50
Message 1 of 51
neilyj666
1935 Views, 50 Replies

C3D2013 SP1 - Any one taken the plunge??

Anyone been brave enough to install yet?? Any problems/issues??

I'll probably install over the weekend as in the middle of a rush job and can't afford the time if anything goes wrong

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
50 REPLIES 50
Message 41 of 51
neilyj666
in reply to: Jeff_M

...although the program that you wrote Jeff does a great jpb of clearing out the dst's

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 42 of 51
troma
in reply to: Jeff_M

Whose job is it to listen to users and realize that something is not a feature?  Or at least that a majority would like the ability to switch off a certain feature?

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 43 of 51
troma
in reply to: neilyj666

Question: when you hover the curser in the drawing with surfaces and alignments, what is the max number of surface elevations and Station/Offsets displayed?  In 2008 I don't think there was a max (or at least it was quite high), very annoying in 2011 it was dropped to a max of 3 each.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 44 of 51
rkmcswain
in reply to: troma

@troma wrote:

Whose job is it to listen to users and realize that something is not a feature?

IDK. I wonder what it took to get rid of the "Today" window back in 2000i/2002?

That was even liked by some small percentage of users and they killed it.

I don't know anyone who likes the recent files dump to fill up with .DST files.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 45 of 51
rkmcswain

neilyj wrote:

They also haven't fixed the Quick profile bug when specifying Points to define the QP

Remind me of this one.....?

What is the bug?

Is anyone currently keeping a "user list" of these long time bugs?

Ralph Sanchez used to keep up with all these on texupport.net, but that is gone now.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 46 of 51
neilyj666

When you create a Quick Profile using the Points option, chose two XY locations for the QP and select the surfaces in the normal way, then when you try to select the location on screen where you want to display it you cannot select anything and the cursor remains as an arrow.

If you move focus back to the command line you can type an XY coordinate (invariably nowhere near the area of interest but 0,0 is a good fallback) and the QP displays as expected

EESignature

Message 47 of 51
hgohel
in reply to: Cadguru42

@engrtech wrote:

Has anyone else run into a problem with grips after installing the service pack?  I haven't figured out what causes it, but ever since I installed the service pack something causes the grips to no longer work.  When I click on a grip it doesn't actually "grip".  It acts like it's going to let me move the vertex, but when I move the mouse the mouse loses it's "grip" on the vertex.  Hitting ESC doesn't actually deselect any objects after this starts.  The only way to fix it is to restart C3D.

We do not have this issue reported to us so far.  Does this happen in all drawings?  How about in a new drawign? If you have a reproducible case, please submit the data and steps to subscription support and we will investigate.

Himanshu Gohel
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 48 of 51
Cadguru42
in reply to: hgohel

@HGohel wrote:

@engrtech wrote:

Has anyone else run into a problem with grips after installing the service pack?  I haven't figured out what causes it, but ever since I installed the service pack something causes the grips to no longer work.  When I click on a grip it doesn't actually "grip".  It acts like it's going to let me move the vertex, but when I move the mouse the mouse loses it's "grip" on the vertex.  Hitting ESC doesn't actually deselect any objects after this starts.  The only way to fix it is to restart C3D.

We do not have this issue reported to us so far.  Does this happen in all drawings?  How about in a new drawign? If you have a reproducible case, please submit the data and steps to subscription support and we will investigate.

I've seen it happen in two drawings since the service pack, but I can't get it to always happen.  I have no idea what is actually causing it to happen.

I ran into another strange issue today that I've never seen before.  This is kinda long, but explains what happened.  I created a new drawing using a template that I've been using for a while now.  I imported two aerials photos (turning off the drawing coordinates since it's bugged), then did a MAPIMPORT to bring in a SDF with our county parcels and the data.  When I picked "Current display" for the spatial filter nothing was imported.  There were no errors or anything to report that anything failed.  I was returned to the command prompt like nothing happened.  So, I did MAPIMPORT again of the SDF this time teling it "None" for Spatial filter.  That time it imported all of the parcels.  

So far so good, however, C3D started sucking up memory. Lots of memory.  It got up to around 3.7GB of memory being used, which I've never seen happen when importing this same file the dozens of times over the past couple of months.  I then imported a layout from a template that I've been using since 2013 came out.  I setup my viewport to my area and sent my layout to the plotter.  

After this, I decided to trim the parcels down to just the area I need in order to free up memory and speed the drawing up.  I saved the drawing, then did a MAPTRIM where I define the boundry by creating my own polygon.  I clicked in the model space to create the boundry and C3D locked up for a few seconds, then let me select another point.  I did so, and C3D locked up again for about 5 seconds, then prompted for another point.  When I clicked the 3rd time, C3D gave a fatal error and crashed out.  I restarted C3D and opened my drawing.  I created a rectangle this time and when doing a MAPTRIM selected the closed rectangle.  This took a very long time, but after about 10 minutes my parcels were trimmed and the memory went from 3.7gb down to 1.7gb.  "Good", I thought.  When I went to my layout, my border was completely gone, including my viewport.  There were no objects in the layout at all, yet I could see what the viewport was showing.  I could even go into the modelspace from the layout, but there was no viewport to select.   The layout was completely devoid of any objects, yet there was clearly a rectangular viewport (my original viewport was polygonal).  I did an audit with repairs and it found no errors and erased no objects.  I saved and closed C3D.  Restarted C3d and the drawing.  Every object in my layout was gone, yet a mysterious viewport with no objects was still there.  

I haven't seen this happen before, but this was the first time I've done a MAPTRIM since installing the service pack, so I wonder if the MAPTRIM did something to my layout objects?

EDIT TO ADD: I tried the exact same steps in C3D 2012 (which only got up to a maximum of 2.6gb of memory) and when I did the MAPTRIM I got the following on the command prompt:

Processing 58037 object(s), please wait...
䵘䱆䉉㨠㜠䤠癮污摩洠獥慳敧渠浵敢⁲㠶㔺ਸ뜀◇Couldn't find the message 58 in msg database 68
䵘䱆䉉㨠㜠䤠癮污摩洠獥慳敧渠浵敢⁲㠶㘺ਲ㌀⺐Couldn't find the message 62 in msg database 68
䵘䱆䉉㨠㜠䤠癮污摩洠獥慳敧渠浵敢⁲㘱㨹਷㰀Couldn't find the message 7 in msg database 169
done

Anyone know what this means?  It looks like the MAPTRIM worked, but that strange message showed up.

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 49 of 51
jjohnson

This is the message I have been receiving in numerous drawings.

䵘䱆䉉㨠㜠䤠癮污摩洠獥慳敧渠浵敢⁲㈱㨹ਵ᠀?߾Couldn't find the message 5 in msg database 129

I have actually had less issues once the service pack was installed.  I didn't even get this message until I started importing shape files with fields.  I can ADEDEFDATA and delete them all I want but for some reason they are inherently stuck somewhere.  I don't seem to have a lot of the same problems as a lot of others that I have seen post, although C3D 2013 is more glitchy than an old time gun slinger.  At any rate, it only happens in the project that I brought the shape files into so it's got to be something with the drawings and not the software...although I'm SURE the software was the culpret.  From some other posts it also seems like when Map commands are used it causes some issues.  That's all I got for now.

Message 50 of 51
jjohnson
in reply to: jjohnson

actual error message if anyone was curious

Message 51 of 51

I'm experiencing spontaneous occurances that I can't find the triggers for still.

• The PICKFIRST still keeps changing to 0.
  • The paste issue I had was a matter of running out of virtual memory again go figure.
  • Using Pan from inside a viewport locks up and sometimes results in a crash...maybe a driver/vid card issue, but it's only while using C3D 2013.
  • We still have some clients that require save-downs and for some reason C3D 2013 updates the drawing to 2013 format even though I specifically told it otherwise.
  • Random crashes when my mouse gets stuck panning over an XREF, but again only in C3D 2013.

Anywho that's what I've got thus far.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report