Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C3D waaay slow

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
alberto_go
692 Views, 8 Replies

C3D waaay slow

Hi,

We've been working on this project which has about 40 small alignments with it respective FG profiles. All of these have been "shortcuted" to the project so we can use them on other files. Everything was fine up until a couple days ago, once we started making the Proposed Left and right profiles (FG), for each of the proposed roads we have wihtin the subdivision - these new profiles were shortcuted in into the project as well....

Question, would having a lot of data information (alignments, profiles, surfaces, etc) make the files to slow down? any ideas or suggestions?

Thank you very much.

Alberto

C3D 2012

8GB RAM, Windows 7

Tags (1)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
blt
Advocate
in reply to: alberto_go

Do you have sample lines for your corridors?  We xref out our corridors and have the sample lines in different drawings.  It was the sample lines that were slowing us down.

Bryan Thorp, PLS
Civil 3D 2017 SP1
Dell OptiPlex 990 Workstation
Intel I7
16 Gig of RAM
Message 3 of 9
alberto_go
in reply to: blt

No I dont have Sample lines... I have the CL alignments and the FG CL profiles shortcuted in, then created the Left and Right profiles on the drawings... then created the corridors....  No Sample lines...

seems like by getting the Project more cluttered with all the individual profiles, is keeping the computer to act slower as it seems to try to Sync the data information (hence each one of those C3D objects)...   Even on  a brand new drawing, with only 1 C3D object being referenced from the Project, it seems to go slows too...  😕   It was working out great when we had less of a complexity, now with more data ramifications, not so great...

Message 4 of 9
dgordon

lots of profile views can bog down a drawing.  try only keeping profile views for the ones your working on shown and delete the others.

Dan

Dan

Civil 3D 2013
Win 7 Pro x64
Intel Xeon 2.0GHz
12Gb Ram
ATI Firepro 4800
Dell T5500
www.preinnewhof.com
Message 5 of 9
hgohel

Hi Alberto

Your signature indicates you have C3D 2012; do you have Update 1 installed?  We have included some specific performance enhancements for data shortcuts in general, and data shortcuts for (long) profiles.  I believe you may see some improvements if you install Update 1.

I'd recommend recording how much time it's taking you now to open drawings, or whatever operation is slow with regard to this data shortcut issue, and then measure it again after you install Update 1.  Let us know how it works out.

Himanshu Gohel
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 6 of 9
alberto_go
in reply to: hgohel

Hi Hgoehl,

I had already installed SP1...  it all started a couple days ago... when we started creating new FG profiles for our left and right profile roads... but I dont' understand why it's getting slower if we're not even adding these profiles to the Datashortcut project... 😕

Message 7 of 9
BrianHailey
in reply to: hgohel

A couple of things that I've seen bring drawings to a crawl:

1) If you have it toggled on, turn off your Selection Cycling (it's the SC in your status bar if you turned off the icons).

2) Try turning off your roll over tooltips.

Perhaps one of these will help you out.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 8 of 9
hgohel

Hi Alberto,

Good to know you have Update 1 installed.  In your original post you mentioned that the FG profiles are referenced, but in the last post you said they are not, so I am not exactly clear what the project setup is.  I would suggest opening a case and submit the data to Autodesk Subscription Support so that we can investigate the issue.  Thanks.

Himanshu Gohel
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 9 of 9
JamesMaeding

this sounds like total basics to me.

You already made your H&V's for centerline, now just adding V's for right and left? And it's not working well?

I am very interested in this thread as this is exactly the kind of thing our guys would be doing, if we used C3D.

To have to resort to subscription support for help on a very generic situation is totally unacceptable for anyone considering implementing a C3D only environment.

Does this not catch the attention of the bloggers and tech consultants that preach C3D to rule the world?

Let's see how this turns out, it may be something simple slowing things down, or maybe its that Autodesk did not design the prog for real life.  40 alignments is not a lot, it is a medium sized data set by my standards.

What, do we have to have 8 drawings with 5 corridors each in them?

What do others suggest on a balance to get decent speed?

thx

internal protected virtual unsafe Human() : mostlyHarmless
I'm just here for the Shelties

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report