Invisible objects in the AutoCAD,

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
JamaL9722060
2731 Views, 12 Replies

I’m not sure if there is any chance that some objects in the AutoCAD that can be invisible (other than turning off their layers).

In the attached CAD file, I wanted to convert the hatches to polygons using the FME software. The issue is that the converted polygons does match what we see in the AutoCAD file (attached).

I’m advised by the FME experts that some objects in the AutoCAD can be invisible while the FME displays them.

I’m wondering if there is a command in the AutoCAD or lisp file that can take of this issue. “Recover” has no effect in this case.

Thank you

Best

Jamal

---------------------------
Jamal Numan
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Hi,

>> some objects in the AutoCAD can be invisible

Possible, but then there has to be an app that turns them to invisible, because there is no command OTB that can do that.

You need LISP or other programming language to do that ... but in this drawing I don't find any invisible objects.

In your screenshots it looks like there are some hatches in brown color showing streets (that are not in the DWG you uploaded) and others in the same color overlapping other polygons ... and it might be a problem in the type of AutoCAD hatch setting "Normal Island Detection" ==> most of the converter into/from GIS-systems have a problem with that setting as it's untypical (unknown) for GIS (GIS knows islands, but not islands of islands as that are other polygons then). You might try to change them to "Outer Island Detection" and run then again the converter with that hatches.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 13

Thank you very much Alfred for the valuable input.

Let’s take another obvious example: If the attached CAD file is open from the FME software then the indicated polygons (shown in the attached screenshots) appear. This happens before invoking the FME. I just open the CAD file from the FME. But as this file is open from the AutoCAD, these polygons are not displayed.

The CAD file in completely drafted in the AutoCAD with no effects from other software. I don’t think that the issue here is relevant to the “Island”.

This is why I’m advised by the FME experts to apply some lisp files that can DETECTS such invisible objects and delete them.

I have already applied “recover” and “purge” with no luck to delete these “dirty” invisible obejcts.

FME software

http://www.safe.com/

Jamal Numan
Message 4 of 13

Hi,

there are no invisible objects in the drawing, the borders you show look like extents of text objects.

If you let the FME converter run, let the converter export as much info about that entity as possible, minimum should be layer and color, better is objecttype (if possible).

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 5 of 13

Thank you very much for the prompt help.

Please, find attached the properties\attributes of these invisible objects according to the FME.

I have no I idea how to select\display these polygons in the AutoCAD

Jamal Numan
Message 6 of 13

Hi,

>> I have no I idea how to select\display these polygons in the AutoCAD

Select them: run that command

_PSELECT<ENTER>

(handent "93")<ENTER>

<ENTER>

And now (while you have them selected) change the island-detection as I suggested. You'll see that that rectangles disappear and again, GIS converters have problems with that type of island handling in CAD.

How did those rectangles get part of that hatch? I can just guess: while you created the one hatch there were some text objects active, recognized as islands and that's why the hatch has that boundaries active.

Just to make sure: that are no invisible objects, it's a visible hatch with boundaries in it.

For your future work, please don't use "Outer Island Detection" as island type when you are creating hatches that should be used in GIS later.

Greetings to FME, if you point them to this thread 😉

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 7 of 13

Sorry Alfred but I couldn’t figure out how to apply the Pselect\handent “93” to select the “invisible objects (attached).

Could you please elaborate a bit more

Jamal Numan
Message 8 of 13

Hi,

>> I couldn’t figure out how to apply the Pselect\handent “93”

You missed the brackets!

And you should not have selected anything before you start the command.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 9 of 13

Thank you very much Alfred for the massive help.

Finally I could catch the invisible objects with this magic approach (attached)

Jamal Numan
Message 10 of 13

Hi,

ATTENTION: with _ERASE you have deleted a valid hatch! That rectangles are only part of a hatch!

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 11 of 13
braudpat
in reply to: JamaL9722060

Hello

When I need to search/select ACAD Entities from their Handles (that I know), I use a beautiful french routine from Gilles (gile) : ZH

Please find attached th US/English version of this ZH routine ...

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 12 of 13

Many thanks Alfred. I’m aware of this issue based on the valuable posts you have already provided.

Best

Jamal

Jamal Numan
Message 13 of 13
JamaL9722060
in reply to: braudpat

Thank you very much braudpat. The lisp file works fine (attached).

Very much appreciated

Best

Jamal

Jamal Numan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost