Dimension leader position

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
DaveM
4997 Views, 6 Replies

Dimension leader position

Dimension.pngI

s it possible to have the leader attach to the center of the dimension instead of underline it?

Thanks,
Dave

Civil 3D 2013
HP Z400 Workstation
6GB of RAM
296GB HDD
ATI FirePro V5700(FireGL)
Win 7 Home Professional
Please use Kudos Where Deserved

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
pendean
in reply to: DaveM

Yes, but you will need to change all your text placement from ABOVE to CENTERED, which may not be the look you want. Creating a second DIMSTYLE with this setting just for that occasion may be of value instead. See screenshot.

Message 3 of 7
DaveM
in reply to: pendean

Thank you, I find myself fighting dimension styles quite a bit. Alot of time i end exploding them and forcing them to look like i want.

Thanks,
Dave

Civil 3D 2013
HP Z400 Workstation
6GB of RAM
296GB HDD
Win 7 Home Professional

Message 4 of 7
KateMorricalTowne
in reply to: pendean

Actually, you can override the vertical text alignment for individual dimensions. In the latest versions of AutoCAD it's an option in the multifunctional grips; previously it could be found in the right-click menu.

--
Kate Morrical
Digital Design Manager, Washington DC
BIMmuse.com
Message 5 of 7
pendean
in reply to: KateMorricalTowne

You are correct, click and hover over the grip to wait for the pop-up, then select CENTER VERTICALLY then move the dim text. Nice tip, thanks for sharing.
Message 6 of 7
dbroad
in reply to: DaveM

There is almost no justification for exploding dimensions.  It is too easy to forget that the dimension is exploded.  Later modifications to geometry will begin reporting false distances which causes big economic impacts when someone is bidding on the drawings.

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
Message 7 of 7
DaveM
in reply to: dbroad

dbroad,

I agree that dimensions should never be exploded. The problem is, I work at a small company who does not really want to pay for any training and I am the CAD Manager. I have always had a weakness with dimensions when the dimensions are tiny and need to be shown at a 40 scale. The budgets for jobs keep getting smaller and I am required to go faster and faster. So occasionally I have to explode because I do not have time to research. The frustrating part is, I get asked how much time I think the job will take and then they bid the job at 60% of my number. Enough of my rant, do you have any good resources for controlling dimensions when there is very little space?

I am very grateful for everyone here's help. I love the Community of like minded individuals helping people out just because they can. If only we could spread this kind of help to the rest of the world.

Thanks,
Dave

Civil 3D 2013
HP Z400 Workstation
6GB of RAM
296GB HDD
Win 7 Home Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost