Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD 2015: Way to Improve Match Text Formatting

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
nrz13
994 Views, 6 Replies

AutoCAD 2015: Way to Improve Match Text Formatting

The new Match Text Formatting feature is a nice start, but I think it will continue to be almost as limited as individually selecting items was in prior versions until AutoCAD supports Ctrl+Selection, as Microsoft Word does.  By holding down the Ctrl key, multiple selections can be made at once to be changed.

As it stands now, I'm really not going to use the Match Text Formatting feature because it takes more time to use than manually changing one formatting element (such as color).  If I could Ctrl+Select multiple items at once to change, then that would save me a lot of extra clicks.

I want to submit a feature request for this, but I thought I'd vet the idea and refine it here first.  How are other people using the Match Text Formatting feature?

Work:  AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700K, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Pro SSD, AMD Radeon Pro WX 5100, 3 Dell Monitors (3840x2160)
Home: AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-11700, 64GB RAM, Samsung 980 Pro SSD, NVIDIA Quadro P2200, Dell Monitor (3840x2160)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
pendean
in reply to: nrz13

I like your idea to improve it.
Message 3 of 7
acadhelp1
in reply to: pendean

I'm not entirely clear on what you are selecting while holding Ctrl.

Is it text in another Mtext that you want to match?

You can send these type of suggestions using the “Send Feedback” from the Help menu (question mark in upper right area).  It's best to start off with your goal or what you need/want to do.  Then your idea of how it works.

Thanks,

Jon

BTW - you can use Ctrl+select to "sub-select" parts of some objects.  The one that comes to mind for me is attributes in a block.  If you use Ctrl+ select on an attribute in a block you can edit the properties of the attribute in properties palette.  This might be good for one of changes.

You can also use Ctrl+select on a pline segment, and delete it.

Jon Page

AutoCAD Design Manager
Message 4 of 7
nrz13
in reply to: acadhelp1

Jon:

What I mean is within a single Mtext box, you might have several words or lines you want to change at once.  The Match Text Formatting would be started and you'd select your source text (or you'd select your source text and then click the Match Text Formatting button) and then you could hold down the Ctrl key to select one word or section and while keeping the Ctrl key depressed, select another word, line, or section elsewhere in the same Mtext box.  If you keep the Ctrl key held down, you could drag-select an indefinite number of words/lines/paragraphs to change at once.  As soon as you let go of the Ctrl key, the selection is finalized and all of the selected words would match the properties of the source.  I would use this, for instance, to change the size and color of multiple headings at once within a large block of text.

I don't know if you have a copy of Microsoft Word handy, but it would work very much the same (except in Word if you start by holding the Ctrl key it selects an entire sentence by default, which would not be a good behavior for AutoCAD.  However, if you make your first selection in Word and then hold down Ctrl and select other words -- this is the behavior I'm talking about.

Has that explained it a bit better or have I made things worse?

Work:  AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700K, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Pro SSD, AMD Radeon Pro WX 5100, 3 Dell Monitors (3840x2160)
Home: AutoCAD 2022.1.3, Windows 10 Pro v22H2 64-bit, Intel Core i7-11700, 64GB RAM, Samsung 980 Pro SSD, NVIDIA Quadro P2200, Dell Monitor (3840x2160)
Message 5 of 7
pothied

Makes total sense and please do submit your feedback using the link in the help menu as described above or just go to this site to enter your feedback. 

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794

David Pothier

Message 6 of 7
nrz13
in reply to: pothied

Submitted.

Message 7 of 7
acadhelp1

your explanation helped me.

Thanks,

Jon

Jon Page

AutoCAD Design Manager

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost