AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Message 1 of 5 (277 Views)

someone please enlighten me! Illustrator to AutoCad 2011

277 Views, 4 Replies
03-21-2013 08:42 AM

I have a simple drawing out of Illustrator and Im trying to export the DXF from Illustrator to AutoCad for lazor cutting... but AutoCad at the shop can not read the file.. im not an AutoCad guy.. more of a graphics guy so im a  little lost in AC world. The files either won't import or come in all jacked up. I can view the file in AutoCad WS and the file looks ok.. I can view it in Google Docs and it looks ok.. I even looked at it in a online viewer..and my iphone!  I followed a couple how to blogs on this and I have attached a photo of the recommended settings.. are these correct? is there something I need to do in illustrator before I export? There are no groups. FYI this is just a graphic for a trophy for a car show that supports local high school kids with a scholorship to a technical school or college. no profit . even the lazer cutter is cutting at his cost. so im not asking for anyone to do my professional job or anything. I have attached one of the many versions of the .dxf

I really apprecate any help you can offer. 

*Expert Elite*
Patchy
Message 2 of 5 (272 Views)

Re: someone please enlighten me! Illustrator to AutoCad 2011

03-21-2013 08:51 AM in reply to: 65fordguy

Autocad doesn't like Splines, change splines to plines will help.

Message 3 of 5 (254 Views)

03-21-2013 09:14 AM in reply to: Patchy

I read just now about a guy who converted to raster to make it work... Im unsure of creating polylines in illustrator.. not something I have done. any tips?

*Expert Elite*
Patchy
Message 4 of 5 (246 Views)

03-21-2013 09:29 AM in reply to: 65fordguy

Your last attachment was only a path to the image that stored in your computer, so it's an empty drawing.

If a person has Autocad Raster program installed it could generate vector lines from raster image. I tried it before but it wasn't even near what I wanted.

I would trace over the image if it's a simple linework drawing using polylines and arcs. DXFout then laser cut will read it.

*Expert Elite*
Message 5 of 5 (210 Views)

03-22-2013 09:23 AM in reply to: 65fordguy

If you attach a simple illustrator file, I might be able to give you a suggestion

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Welcome to the new Autodesk Community!
If this is your first visit, click here to get started and make the most of the Community. Let us know what you think of the new experience in the Community Feedback Forum.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube