AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Message 1 of 7 (281 Views)

Line Type properties & view

281 Views, 6 Replies
03-12-2013 09:46 PM

I have several students working in 2012 or 2013 PC & Mac education edition who set the line type properties correctly but the line does not "read" correctly.  Checked global scale factor, listed the content to confirm layer and line type as hidden, etc., checked the properties, made sure the line type and color were set to "by layer".  It doesn't matter between model or paper space - the lines will not read.  Any suggestions?

*Expert Elite*
3wood
Message 2 of 7 (273 Views)

Re: Line Type properties & view

03-12-2013 10:04 PM in reply to: dbalderston

Please post a sample drawing here.

Message 3 of 7 (226 Views)

Re: Line Type properties

03-14-2013 10:27 AM in reply to: 3wood
Deborah Balderston, NCIDQ CSU Chico Dept. of Art & Art History Interiors Program Lecturer
*Expert Elite*
Message 4 of 7 (212 Views)

Re: Line Type properties

03-14-2013 11:48 AM in reply to: dbalderston

Posting a drawing would help. Some things that affect behavior:

LTSCALE

MSLTSCALE

PSLTSCALE

ANNOTATION SCALE

CELTSCALE (for objects yet to be drawn).

Linetype scale applied to the individual objects (viewable on properties palette).

Applicability of .LIN file (metric or us).

visual style

coincident linework....

Message 5 of 7 (206 Views)

03-14-2013 01:15 PM in reply to: dbalderston

This is one of the drawings I'm trying to resolve.  Thanks for all the feedback.

*Expert Elite*
Message 6 of 7 (199 Views)

03-14-2013 04:27 PM in reply to: dbalderston

I don't think I've ever seen a simple drawing so messed up.  

To fix the problem, I would suggest copy and pasting the objects into a new drawing with a standard template where the dimension and text styles aren't messed up. 

Current problems settings

1) LTSCALE, 48

2) Fixed height text style.

3) Dimensions that mix settings typical of both metric and imperial.  Text size 1/8" from fixed style, arrow size 2.5" wide, commas being used as decimal points, etc.

4) units set to inches but metric annotation scales.

To fix without copy/paste, set  LTSCALE to a value between 0.5 and 1.0.  Switch to the standard dimstyle.  Set text style to Arch-dim and purge out the weird styles.   You'll still be stuck with metric annotation scales in an imperial drawing.  Who knows where the linetype definitions came from.

The student doing the work needs to make up their mind about which units system to use and then use a standard template based on that units system.

*Expert Elite*
Bob_Zurunkle
Message 7 of 7 (148 Views)

03-18-2013 09:00 AM in reply to: dbalderston

OP your issue appears to be that your CANNOSCALE is set to 1:1, instead of the scale you'd like to view your linework at. Select All objects and reset their linetype scales to 1 to start. Then set LTSCALE, MSLTSCALE, PSLTSCALE & CELTSCALE all to 1. Then pick a viewport scale and go to modelspace and set CANNOSCALE to match that. You being an instructor, I probably don't need to explain CANNOSCALE, but your students need to know all about it. It has gone hand in hand with the other annotation objects since their introduction in the 2008 version. After you have done all this, then you can go back and either create new linetypes or override individual linetype scales on an as-needed basis. Good luck!

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted :smileyhappy:

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Welcome to the new Autodesk Community!
If this is your first visit, click here to get started and make the most of the Community. Let us know what you think of the new experience in the Community Feedback Forum.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube