Hide Sub-Xrefs

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
alexander.garber
948 Views, 5 Replies

Hide Sub-Xrefs

Hi,

I am working on a rather big xref setup. The MAIN file has got about 10 OVERVIEW files refferenced in, each of the OVERVIEW files got another 15-20 DRAWING files attached.

Now when i attach OVERVIEW to MAIN it brings in all the DRAWINGS as unique xrefs as well.

Of course i want to see the DRAWNIGS in the MAIN file, but I'd prefer not to see them in the xref-manger  (where i want to see only the OVERVIEW files).

An additional problem is that the DRAWINGS contain pictures on layout-tabs which are also shown in the MAIN file xref manager.

So long story short: is there a possibility to "hide" the sub-xrefs in the xref-manager?

Thanks, Alex.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
pendean
in reply to: alexander.garber

No, not an option.

Do you just need to sort the display by category perhaps? Like STATUS or something other than name might help too.
Message 3 of 6
alexander.garber
in reply to: pendean

thanks for your answer pendean.

sorting isn't really an option - i mean there are about 3 different statuses. That doesn't really help me organizing my 200+ references 😉

well anyways, i'll have to handle it that way. It's just really annoying when it comes to the layers...

Message 4 of 6
pendean
in reply to: alexander.garber

If the intent is to hide those XREF's layers only, then explore using Layer Filters. That's what they exist for: also you can rename the XREFs in the top file so that they are at the bottom of your Layer list and floating all over the place. In the XREF palette, select the XREF in question and under the DETAILS bar at the bottom half of the palette enter a new name in the category REFERENCE NAME.
Message 5 of 6

Hi again Pendean,

it's been a while - but i am having a similiar issue right now. Therefore I am trying to understand what autocad does when loading a reference - i thouhgt maybe you can fill me in.

When you open a file containing an xref autocad loads this file too and shows it. But does it actually load everything, or only the modellspace.

Or, let me put that differently: does it enhance the performace to put more things on paperspace ( so they do not get loaded with)?

It would be great to hear from you,

greetings alex

Message 6 of 6

I'll chime in -- you can look into your xloadctl and indexctl variables to learn about indexing an XREF file so that only the portion within a crop is indexed for objects etc. if you don't need all of those nested XREFs in your parent file, consider going into the XREF that contains them and changing them from Attach to Overlay. Is it possible some things might have been better off as blocks instead of XREFs? This might be true especially if you don't expect to have to change the contents of those XREFs.

If you'd like to not see the tons of XREF-related layers in your layer manager, you might want to try this layer filter argument:

~*|*

(translation -- filter out all layers that have a "pipe" symbol in them)

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost