Did you mean:Ā 

Converting an Existing DWG from meters to feet

34 REPLIES 34
SOLVED
Message 1 of 35
beh160
67080 Views, 34 Replies

Converting an Existing DWG from meters to feet

I have been sent a DWG floor plan from a firm in South America. The existing file is Type: Decimal  and Units to scale: Meters. We need to convert the file to a useable architectural and feet set up. I know that I will need to scale the existing dwg however I am not sure what the exact steps are or what I should scale it by. Should I cahnge the drawing units first and then scale? Or the other way around? Biggest thing I need is the scale factor.

Thank you.

34 REPLIES 34
Message 21 of 35
steve216586
in reply to: JDMather

You better tell AutoDesk about your findings:  http://docs.autodesk.com/ACD/2010/ENU/AutoCAD%202010%20User%20Documentation/index.html?url=WS1a91938...

I have a Template for inches. I also have one for feet. What's your point? I never told the OP to use one template or another. I already knew the drawing he received was metric. You can make a template for any unit you wish. That still won't change the fact that the program written for AutoCAD does not care what unit you use to create an object. It only gives results of the input a user provides, using the Cartesian Coordinate System. Compare apples to oranges all day long it does not change the facts.

It doesn't even matter what template is used. The more critical item is what the input and output units are labeled and what the units are in the Dimstyle Manger. But they can all be changed if you know conversion factors. A line is 10 units of "anything" long until you label it with a name. In the Dimstyle Manager I could add a scale to my dimensions and make that same line equal to 1000 units of a different unit of measurement. I can have a drawing like the OP's and change the Primary Units Scale Factor to 3.28083989501312 and now my dimensions will "read" feet. Simply that 1 meter = 3.28083989501312 feet. Additionally, all I need to do is add a suffix of -'- while using decimal units to change to decimal feet. I can also change to Architectural units in the Dimstyle Manager and while using the same conversion factor for Primary units obtain dimensions in the format of xx'-xx".

It's a shame, if you really don't know this, that you teach and use the titles of "Professional". But I think you already do know this but are acting the wiseacre.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. "-Eleanor Roosevelt
Message 22 of 35
tbennett
in reply to: steve216586

I think the OP is either thoroughly confused or has got the point.  Either way, there ain't much ground getting covered any more.  Let's agree to agree, disagreeingly.

Please mark "Accept as Solution" if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted.
Message 23 of 35
JDMather

@steve216586 wrote:

You better tell AutoDesk about your findings:  http://docs.autodesk.com/ACD/2010/ENU/AutoCAD%202010%20User%20Documentation/index.html?url=WS1a91938...

I didn't see anything on that page relative to the experimental test I suggested that Autodesk needs to be informed about.   The experiment returned results that I would expect based on that page.

Rest assured, I can correctly convert units.

I have learned from experience that when someone is having trouble figuring out the correct conversion/scale (the original OP's question) that they often have trouble reporting the true units/scale that they have, and therefore the answer to their question often requires seeing the actual file.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 24 of 35
beh160

Here is part of the original the file. I understand that everyone thinks that I should know how to do this but a number of people in my office have been working on this and no one has come up with the correct solution. As I stated before the original file came from an architect in South America however our client is a very large company here in the US and all of their existing standard details are in imperial. The client will not accept the project not in imperial. The other huge road block is that the South American architect will be doing the final drawings and will need the ability to quickly convert the drawing back to metric. For these reason I need to have a correct scale factor that I can use to covert my way and another that they can use to convert back. I understand that this is not ideal and believe me if it was up to me I would not be doing this. I would really appreciate any help that anyone can offer. I however do not really want to hear how I should already know how to do this or that I shouldn't be an architect if I do not know how to do this. I want to say thank you in advance to anyone that is able to help me out.

Message 25 of 35
GrantsPirate

Use the command  -dwgunits, watch the command line and answer each question until it is done.  Do this on a copy of the file just in case.  Later you should be able to round trip it back to meters with the same command.

The -dwgunits command will ask you first for 

drawing units (answer with what units you want the drawing to be)  in your case it should be inches (#1), very few buildings are done in the US in decimal feet.

next will be Drawing unit display format, pick 4 for architectural

next will be Precision, pick 4 for now, this can be easily changed later with units command.

next is Scale Objects from other drawings, answer yes,

next is Match INSUNITS to drawing units, answer yes,

next is Scale objects in current drawing to reflect change in units, answer yes.

next is Include objects in PaperSpace, answer yes.

Everything will be scaled to inches and you will be, more or less, ready to go.

GrantsPirate
Piping and Mech. Designer
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Always save a copy of the drawing before trying anything suggested here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.

Message 26 of 35
dbroad
in reply to: beh160

When I opened it up -dwgunits already was seeing the drawing units as inches whereas the units command showed meters (strange).  I used -dwgunits twice, first time to set it to meters and answered "no" to the last question about scaling.  Next, I repeated the -dwgunits command and switched to inches, answering "yes" to the last question about scaling model and paperspace objects.  Seemed to work here.  

Architect, Registered NC, VA, SC, & GA.
Message 27 of 35
tbennett

Alrighty then.  You can use either method (-dwgunits or insert) but as far as I can tell it leaves you with a bit of work to get your dimensions and other objects looking right.  If I were talking someone down, this is how I would go about it.  You may want to print this and mark each step off as you go.

Open your original drawing.
Open your "Modify Properties" pallet.
Type FILTER.
In the "Select Filter" box select "Text".
Click the "Add to List" button then "Apply".
Type ALL then enter.
On Properties pallet, in the "Columns" property, select the three dots "..." button.
Pick "No Columns".
Escape out of the command.
Type FILTER again then "Apply".
Type ALL and enter.
In the properties pallet, in the "Defined width" property input a value of zero (0).
Type FILTER.
Select the Text line in the selection box then click "Delete".
Select "Line" from the "Selection Filter" box then click "Add to List" and "Apply".
Type ALL and enter.
In the Properties pallet select the "Linetype scale" and enter one (1).
Save the file (a new file name would be safest).

Open a blank drawing.
Type units.  Change the type to "Decimal" and the "Insertion Scale" to Inches.
Insert the saved drawing at 0,0 - do not scale.
Explode the block.
Type DDIM.
Select "esc 25" and click "Set Current" then "Modify".
On each tab make the following changes:
 Lines tab
   Extend beyond ticks: 2.0
   Baseline spaceing: 1.1875
   Extend beyond dim lines: 3.50
   Offset from origin: 1.1875
 Symbols and Arrows tab
   Arrow size: 2.0
   Mark size: 1.50
 Text tab
   Text height: 4.0
   Offset from dim line: 2.75
 Primary Units tab
   Unit format: <whatever you want>
   Precision: <whatever you want>
Select OK then close.
Type LTSCALE and enter 1.5.

This could possibly be made into a drag and drop script.  My numbers have been rounded, but I thought they looked pretty good.

Please mark "Accept as Solution" if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted.
Message 28 of 35
tbennett
in reply to: tbennett

I didn't see any DText in this file, however, if you have any you will need to type TXT2MTXT then ALL then enter.  You will want to do this before the other steps.  This will convert DText to MText.

If you don't add this step and you have DText, then the filter command will not give you a way to change things like columns or defined width.

Message 29 of 35
steve216586

beh,

Please see the attached drawing set to feet. Data input is in feet also in the format x'-xx.xx". I have Alternate units on for verification of distances. In the DimStyle Manager you can click the box to turn the display of them off.  You may have to tweek the dim settings to your preferences. I didn't want to spend too much of my employer's time working on this but wanted to give you a little more direction. They are close to displaying the same as the Meters drawing but not exact.

To change this back to Meters:

Set LTSCALE = 1

Set esc 25 dimstyle active and change all rotated dims to this style using QSELECT. Turn off ALT UNITS.

Set UNITS to DECIMAL - METERS

Scale all by 0.0254 to return to original scale in meters.

Simple! Good luck with your project.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. "-Eleanor Roosevelt
Message 30 of 35
ashaikaleems
in reply to: pendean

Sir.......

am from INDIA my name is Shaik Abdul Aleem doing Auto CADD Disiner i wanna ask one The DWG meeters Drawing file copy and pasting in feets drawing file ok then how to scale Meeters drawing file into feets..... what is the scale value plees tellme .

Thanx .........

Message 31 of 35

Hi,

>> .what am asking the DWG meeters drawing file copying and pasting in feets DWG file 

>> ok then how to scale into feets what we copy meeters flie????

if you have set the UNITS correct in both drawings then AutoCAD should do the scale for you.

Otherwise us Google .. there a so many calculators available >>>click<<< šŸ˜‰

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 32 of 35
siddpaniYYBPJ

If you are looking for the conversion factor to convert a DWG file in METRES to FEET-INCHES, then scale up the file by a factor of 39.3699

After doing so, do not forget to verify the dimensions by cross-checking.

Hope this helps.

Cheers !

Message 33 of 35

If you are looking for the conversion factor to convert a DWG file in METRES to FEET-INCHES, then scale up the file by a factor of 39.3699

After doing so, do not forget to verify the dimensions by cross-checking.

Hope this helps.

Cheers !

Message 34 of 35
archs.singh

Dear Sir/Ma'am,

Here is simple method for converting autoCAD drawing from Meters to feet:

1. If the drawing is in metric units or in meters - use 39.3700787401 factor for scaling (In CAD : Command scale-select object to scale-then fill scale fator 39.3700787401) Drawing will scaled to feet unit.

2. Make sure that : in dimension style Manager : primary units must be architectural

3. In drawing units: the length type and insertion scale must be architectural and inches respectively.

Thanks

I m using AutoCAD 2010. 

Message 35 of 35
archs.singh
in reply to: ashaikaleems

kindly see the post by me

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

ā€Boost