Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Block change scale when insert into another drawing

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
yyli
4047 Views, 4 Replies

Block change scale when insert into another drawing

i have created a block with attributes in full scale (1'=1'-0") and when i tried inserting it into my 1/2"=1'-0" drawing the block keeps on rescaling itself. 

my block is a circle with a diameter of 5/16" in full scale and when i insert it into my 1/2" scale drawing the block appears to be extremely small and why i measure it, it is the right size. why is that and how can i fix it? so the block wil appear in full sacel size in my 1/2" drawing.

here are the steps i took to create the block:

1. open a new drawing 

2. MVSETUP to full scale

3. draw circle with diameter of 5/16

4. i added my attributes

5. used block command to create a block.

i don't want to have to be constantly redrawing the circle and manually typing out my text in the circle. 

thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
hwalker
in reply to: yyli

Welcome to the Forums

It sounds like you have the insert units of your block and your drawing set differently.

Open your block in Block Editor

Don't select anything, just open the properties dialog.

Look to the bottom and you will see a section which says BLOCK

One of the properties in there is UNITS. Change it to UNITLESS.

Your block will now take on the units of whatever drawing it is placed into.

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 3 of 5
pendean

reading your first sentence, does that mean you never draw at 1:1 scale in all of your drawings?
You always draw at 1:1 all the time, never draw to a fractional scale in AutoCAD.

Message 4 of 5
yyli
in reply to: pendean

why not?

if i should always work in a 1:1 scale factor how would i set up my limits? cause i've always been typing in

MVSETUP 

enable paper space = no

unit type = A

arch scales = the scale i want my drawing in

then i insert hte size of paper i want

i'm new with autocad but i used to draft manually and i'm trying to convert all my hand drawing into autocad. i did my hand drawing in a 1/2"=1'-0" scale so when i'm drawing in autocad it just made sense to me to do it in the same scale factor.

thanks.

Message 5 of 5
dgorsman

While its possible to work "in scale", it involves a lot of calculations on your part to scale objects up/down from what you want.  The accepted practice is to draw objects at 1:1 in model space e.g. a 120" long line will be drawn (in model space) at 120" inches, without any scaling.  If that line needs to change later to 100 1/2" there is no calculations - you just change the line to the new length.  When you make the drawing, the border and text sizes will be in paper space and also 1:1 (for imperial settings, paper space is assumed to be in inches; millimeters for metric users).  Any scaling to get the objects nicely on the drawing will be automatically handled by the viewport scale.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost