AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

kristin_p
Message 11 of 29 (3,658 Views)

Re: Autocad Wont Save, Open, Export, Save As... and I'm not using the Demo.

05-08-2011 06:12 AM in reply to: JDMather

I'll certainly try all this asap and if it fixes everything, I'll mark it. Thanks for the advice!

kristin_p
Message 12 of 29 (3,659 Views)

05-08-2011 06:15 AM in reply to: jalneal

It's 360, not sure what version. The newer one I guess.

kristin_p
Message 13 of 29 (3,658 Views)

05-08-2011 06:49 AM in reply to: kristin_p

5th edition. checked.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 14 of 29 (3,647 Views)

05-09-2011 06:03 AM in reply to: kristin_p
Message 15 of 29 (3,579 Views)

07-13-2011 01:32 PM in reply to: pendean

Same issues, but I am not using any Norton products on my computer. Any word on a patch for this? The filedia suggestion worked, but it is a huge pain to not have the save box.

kbollman
Message 16 of 29 (3,559 Views)

07-18-2011 08:01 AM in reply to: kristin_p

I think I found a workaround for this.

We were having issues with AutoCAD 2012 LT not opening, saving, or allowing a person to create a new drawing. AutoCAD's support was less than helpful and blamed us, our software, our network, and our servers for being the issue. As it turns out the issue is actually a registry key that AutoCAD creates that makes the program lock up.

Please note that this fix requires working in the Windows registry. If you are not comfortable working in the registry please have someone else do the steps below for you, otherwise you may mess up your computer. I am not responsible for any mishaps, loss of data, etc. should you follow the steps below and break something. Proceed at your own risk.

Here's how to fix it:

1. Open the registry (Start, run, regedit.exe) OR for Windows XP do a Start, Run, regedt32.exe

2. Go to the following key: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\AutoCAD LT\R17\ACADLT-A001:409\Profiles\<<Unnamed Profile>>\Dialogs\OpenSaveAnavDialogs]

3. Delete the InitialDirectory key completely. It should be the only key there other than the Default key which should be left alone.

4. Right-click on the OpenSaveAnavDialogs branch (left pane of the registry) and choose Permissions...

5. Click on the Advanced button.

6. Uncheck the box next to "Include inheritable permissions from this object's parent"

7. When prompted about the current permissions choose the Add button.

8. Click on OK.

9. Do this for each Group or user name EXCEPT CREATOR OWNER:

a. Highlight the group or user name

b. Uncheck the Allow box under "Full Control". Leave the Read permission alone.

10. When done with all of the groups and users click on OK.

11. Exit the registry editor.

AutoCAD should now be able to open, save, and create new files without any problems.

Technical description: AutoCAD 2012 has an issue with the InitialDirectory key in the OpenSaveAnavDialogs branch in the registry. Any value in this key will cause AutoCAD 2012 LT to freeze, although in certain instances it will continue to sort of limp along half-broken. AutoDesk keeps pointing the finger at everyone else except for themselves and will probably not fix this issue any time soon. The above steps will delete the InitialDirectory key and then prevent the program from adding the key back in later by granting only Read permissions instead of Full Control permissions.

I hope that helps. It took me nearly 8 hours to find this solution so if I can save you the time and energy then so be it. Meanwhile please continue to hound AutoDesk to release a patch or service pack to address this issue and all of the other problems with their software.

pvvinay
Message 17 of 29 (3,352 Views)

11-02-2011 11:22 PM in reply to: kristin_p

Thanks for your work around.

I tried the procedure, the probelem is now solved temporarily. After every time I save the file, I need to repeat the procedure to delete the temp file which gets generated automatically. Is there any permanent solution for the same?

Contributor
Message 18 of 29 (1,788 Views)

10-23-2012 05:55 AM in reply to: pvvinay

Bumping this back up to the top again.

I am using AutoCAD 2010 on a Windows 7 Enterprise box.

Using Classic Windows Theme.

Aero turned off.

I am having the same issues as this post.

When I start up AutoCAD.  I can go to any one of the three Open options, there is the File... open pull down menu, then two other "Open" icons in two separate toolbars.

If I select any of the 3 open options... AutoCAD immediately locks up.

It's as if AutoCAD sends the message to Windows to Open a dialog box... and windows doesn't respond back to AutoCAD... so it locks up.

I have done the regedit thing involvling the "OpenSaveAnavDialogs"- Initialdirectory... where I delete the initialdirectory.... and that works.   I will start AutoCAD, then go to regedit and do the deletion process, then back to AutoCAD.... click on any of the options to Open.... and the dialog box will pop up and work just fine.

It will work just fine... until I shutdown AutoCAD and start it back up again.   Then I have to do the regedit thingy again.

So to me... it has to be this "OpenSaveAnavDialogs-Initialdirectory" that is causing the problem.

Just wondering if anyone else has seen a "Permanent" resolution to this.

thanks........  Tom

Message 19 of 29 (1,488 Views)

01-04-2013 08:17 AM in reply to: 203006046

A bump from me too. This is extremely annoying!

I now open file from the windows interface and have disabled all open buttons on toolbars etc. 

This is just not good enough Autodesk!

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 20 of 29 (1,476 Views)

01-04-2013 11:15 AM in reply to: kristin_p
Are you using plain AutoCAD or a vertical?
Is your other startup method loading a profile?

If you want to talk to Autodesk, buy a subscription: this is peer support. Your post is light on details for remote assistance so far my friend.
Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Welcome to the new Autodesk Community!
If this is your first visit, click here to get started and make the most of the Community. Let us know what you think of the new experience in the Community Feedback Forum.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube