AutoCAD 2007/2008/2009

Message 1 of 4 (304 Views)

Creating a Tooling path for CNC

304 Views, 3 Replies
03-26-2013 12:13 PM

Is there a quick way to edit my lines to be 3/8" wide so that I can see what my images will look like after i am finished tooling them on my CNC table?

I need to make sure my images stay sharp and the lines dont overlap or intersect oce they are 3/8" thickness

Any ideas?

Is it possible to import my vectors into adobe illistrator and change the line thickness to 3/8", edit the vectors then import them back into cad as vectors?

Message 2 of 4 (290 Views)

Re: Creating a Tooling path for CNC

03-26-2013 03:29 PM in reply to: Jeremy_greiner

Have you tried importing the CAD file to mastercam? Mastercam should be able to give you a rendered preview. I am not sure of a way to do this in AutoCad.

Message 3 of 4 (274 Views)

03-27-2013 07:07 AM in reply to: PSDstaff

Thanks pdfstaff,

this is not the route I took.

Is master cam a free software?

I was able to import / export dxf and dwg files in adobe illustrator and edit them so i could see exactly what the cuts would look like it worked perfectly! If anyone is inrested these are the steps

I import the drawing into illustrator and change the line weight according to what bit will be used.

This allows you to then see what the cuts will look like on the machine.

Inside illustrator I then edit the lines so that the tooling looks how I want it to.

I change the line weights back to the size they were in autocad to prevent them from looking (not necessary) but once the line size has been changed you cannot easily change it in autocad. So if you want to see how the drawing looks in auto cad with the bit size you have chosen you can skip this step…

I export the drawing to dwg or dxf and then open it into autocad.

You will see that the illustrator program has changed some of the arcs and lines into splines. Toolpath will not read splines so you must change them back into lines and arcs or polylines.
So I used a app that you can with one click change all your splines into polylines. It is called spline2line.lsp.
so I then go to Tools -> Load Application -> (browse for spline2pline.lsp) cad will say “loaded successfully”
in the command line I type “spline2pline” it prompts you to select object, select all your splines…. And boom you are ready to import to toolpath with the artwork you have drawn in adobe illustrator looking precisely the way you want it to be cut on the machine

Illustrator is easy to use to modify your lines and saves straight to dxf which is golden!

*Expert Elite*
Message 4 of 4 (261 Views)

03-31-2013 07:46 AM in reply to: Jeremy_greiner

Set lineweight in AutoCAD.

Plot Preview.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2014 Edu 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Welcome to the new Autodesk Community!
If this is your first visit, click here to get started and make the most of the Community. Let us know what you think of the new experience in the Community Feedback Forum.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube