AutoCAD 2000/2000i/2002 Archive (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

0 segments added to polyline.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
8311 Views, 8 Replies

0 segments added to polyline.

Hi,

I got the error message above when I try to join two open polylines using PEDIT > JOIN. Both objects are polylines and the segments in question meet cleanly at the vertices, but the join fails when one of them has been previously subjected to the TRim command. Otherwise it works fine. Why? How do I turn two plines into one in this case? Does the TR command somehow affect the pline properties?

garrick
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Post the file that exhibits this behavior.
Message 3 of 9
cadcoke3

I've run into this myself on several occasions. My final solution is to start a new polyline and trace over the exsiting one. if the polyline is complex, it will certainly be a pain. If that is the case, if i can join the complex portion to a polyline, sometimes I will trace a new one for just the part that remains, and then join that new one to the original (after deleting the problem portion).

Joe Dunfee
Message 4 of 9
teiarch

Garrick: If the segments "...met cleanly...", PE>J would join them.

One way to check is to set display accuracy to it's highest setting, then do a ID on each endpoint. Trick is to place the cursor away from the end point but less that halfway along the segment and use the ENDpoint osnap. Doing this may reveal that the endpoints don't quite meet....could be X, Y or Z that doesn't match between the two.

Don't rely on visual confirmation no matter how tight you zoom in.
Message 5 of 9
deke01

I've filleted lines and then turned them into polylines and they still don't join.
How much more accurate can segments get to meet cleanly?
There does seem to be a problem in the program.
Message 6 of 9
misterblobby

Trim causes dramas, as does extend and I think old fillets & chamfers do as well.

Easiest fix is to just trace a new pline over the top.
Message 7 of 9
teiarch

Draw a horizontal line.

Draw a vertical line with one end point "near" the endpoint of the horizontal line.

PE one line and change it a polyline.

Fillet, selecting the pline first. They should join and become two pline segments. IF they don't, then perhaps something is wrong elsewhere.....
Message 8 of 9
dhadley

Often get issues if you are miles away from 0,0...no way around it even if you know they have same endpoint....
try this lisp instead - much nicer - just set the fuzz to whatever minimum gap threshold you want (ie, for me (metric), it will join any lines whose endpoints are within 1/2 mm of each other). Eliminates all the extra steps of the pedit join routine as well

(defun c:pedit2 (/ ss fuzz)
(setq fuzz 0.0005)
(prompt "\nSelect Objects to Join Together.....")
(setq ss (ssget '((0 . "lwpolyline,polyline,line,arc"))))
(if (ssget "p" '((0 . "line,arc")))
(command "pedit" "m" ss "" "y" "j" fuzz "")
(command "pedit" "m" ss "" "j" fuzz "") )
(princ) )
Message 9 of 9
hstipdonk

First use the FLATTEN command on all of the segments and polylines you want to join.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums