Community
Alias Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Alias Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Alias topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to close small holes before 3D print?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
seoj
740 Views, 3 Replies

How to close small holes before 3D print?

Hi,

I have a Car ditigal model and I'm going to make by 3D printer. so I need to export this car to printable STL file.

but as i know, before export to STL, i need to fill up all of holes on surfaces so that I can make printable STL file.

any tools which filling up small holes automatically? 

Plus, what tolerance and max edge length is suitable for 3D print? 

Untitled-1.jpg

Cheers!

Tags (4)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
ravenzep
in reply to: seoj

Hi.

Make shells from your surfaces, to see if everything is water tight or not.

If u see some yellow lines, play with tolerances, to get things right.

And that s it really. Straight forward process.

Good luck.

Message 3 of 4
seoj
in reply to: ravenzep

Hi Thanks for the comment. I wonder what tolerance is suitable for export STL file. in my case, If I set to 1.0 tolerance, the Arrow indicators are dramatically reduce. So, setting a 1.0 is okay for 3D printer?

Message 4 of 4
ravenzep
in reply to: seoj

Hi,

Well i think the tolerances will depend on machine specs, on scale of the model, on how much detail is needed, etc, etc.

I dont really have much experience with rapid prototyping, but u could also try this:

Tesselate your surfaces to a mesh in alias. Playing with the mesh tesselation, u can see precisely how your mesh is going to be, i.e. you can control the detail basically of the mesh. You should use the VISUALIZATION option.

After you have that mesh (save as OBJ), you can even use maya or 3dsmax to go further and tweak any neccessary thing that may be needed, adding further control.

Both can export to STL too. MAX has a tool to check if model is closed too, if i can recall.

Just some ideas. Play around, and chose what looks better to you.

Good luck.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report