Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ZDepth and Opacity

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
DannyTheGamer
925 Views, 2 Replies

ZDepth and Opacity

Hey guys,

I am rendering a scene with Mental Ray, and in Render Elements I enabled a Z Depth pass.

As you can see, some of the characters are trapped in a glass capsule which has a 20% opacity material.

However, in the Z Depth pass that opacity is not taken into consideration and thus the characters inside as well as the background seen through the glass are inaccurately blurred. Any way to incorporate opacity in the Z Depth pass?TestFinal (0-00-00-00).pngTestZ.pngTestBeauty.png

Cheers

Tags (3)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
har1sf0x
in reply to: DannyTheGamer

Hello there,

As far as i know the ZDepth pass does not take under consideration the opacity. You could just render the scene with only the ZDepth pass with an override material for quick rendering and without the glass object.

Enjoy,

har1sf0x

Message 3 of 3
DannyTheGamer
in reply to: har1sf0x

Hey! Sorry for the late reply...

What I ended up doing, based on what you said, was assign the same zdepth material (made using falloff maps) to all the objects in the scene, and for the glass I simply took that same material and gave it a 20% opacity. I guess it sorta worked out for me

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report