Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow viewport 2015 mental ray 3ds max

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
merhan.amin
283 Views, 2 Replies

Slow viewport 2015 mental ray 3ds max

Hi,

I have a problem with the perspective viewport movement, its slow when it's in realistic mode at the addition of photometric lights, it jumps to shaded whenever I move & I can't put the lights in the scene. I work (modeling) low-poly, means a complete detailed neighbourhood (1920s in egypt, with material and classic carvings in buildings) is only 23mb, almost 1,250,000 polygons & approximately 800,000 vertices. My laptop is dell i5 5200U, nividia geforce. What is wrong?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Be sure you are indeed using the Nvidia chip instead of the Intel integrate chip, by default Laptop will try to use the power saving chip, with lower performance.

Having said that if your geometry is complex and you have large textures, this will also affect your video performance in realistic mode.

I would recommend to use shaded mode and do quick render to check lighting.

You could also use XRef models or scenes to optimize your view port performance.

Message 3 of 3
merhan.amin
in reply to: merhan.amin

thank you for your reply ,how do i know whether I'm using the default vega or the nividia ? And the file is relatively low it's a highly detailed city and I'm working to scale that's why it seems heavy to 3d max

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report