Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frame Buffer Different than Saved Image

24 REPLIES 24
Message 1 of 25
mertens3d
65387 Views, 24 Replies

Frame Buffer Different than Saved Image

max 2014, vray 2

Default Gamma settings

For some reason the image in my frame buffer looks different than the same image saved and viewed in photoshop or windows photo viewer.

What could be happening during the save process that would change the image color/ tint?

On the attached image (screen capture), the frame buffer is on the left and photoshop on the right. The left has more red and the right image has more green.

Ideas?

Thanks in advance

24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25
Midge_S
in reply to: mertens3d

Are you using the Vray Frame Buffer?

If so, there might still be a frame buffer colour correction active on it.

M.

Message 3 of 25
mertens3d
in reply to: Midge_S

M.,

I am using the Vray Frame Buffer, but have tried it with Max's native buffer as well. Same result

Also, I checked and I do not have any color correction going on in the Vray Buffer. Just sRGB and Color Clamping.

Other ideas?

Message 4 of 25
tony.su

Did you use view LUT? This setting is in preference-gamma and LUT.

Or you can try unname your setting folder, lunch max, create a defoult setting, and try it again.

XP: C:\Documents and Settings\"user name"\My Documents\maya\"version"

windows7: C:\Users\"user name"\Documents\maya\"version"

Tony Su
Product Support
Message 5 of 25
Midge_S
in reply to: tony.su

Which format are you using to save out of the Vray Frame Buffer?

EXR's don't always translate perfectly in Photoshop, though a shift this obvious is quite extreme.

Do you have any other packages to import the file in? If the problem persists in say something like After Effects or Composite, at least we know it's happening on the Max side of things.

Message 6 of 25
grue1970
in reply to: Midge_S

you have color management turned on inside photoshop and defined a default color space?  do you have a calibrated monitor?

3ds Max all versions past and present | GPU Rendering on 2 machines | Standard, MentalRay, MentalRay IRAY, IRAY+, VRAY, Arnold
Message 7 of 25
Anonymous

i having a problem....when i render in vray frame buffer render image displying dark and after saving that image is very bright .what shoud i do ?iam attaching that image also ,can any one help me?

thank you

Message 8 of 25
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello, I've had this problem earlier today..

and I quiet found a solution..

When attempting to save the image, if you put the override as 5 it will be too brighter, and if you just use the system default gamma it will be too dark..

So I guess it's a compromise, enter the value of the override as 2.5.. I don't know if it was exactly the same, but I was satisfied with the result..

I don't know if this reply is too late to help whoever asked the question, I just hope it helps anyone.. Check the attachment to get a clearer image of what I'm sayingr!

Good luck all!

Message 9 of 25
CAMedeck

Do not use arbitrary numbers in the Gamma override.  Unless you really know what you are doing, your gamma will either be 1.0 or 2.2.  

The issue with the images looking too bright once saved from the frame buffer is usually due to gamma correction being applied to it twice.  Gamma can be a very difficult thing to understand, but it is also very important.  I suggest you both do some research.

And vijaysadaram, please start your own topic rather than posting to one that is several months old.

Chris Medeck
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 10 of 25
Anonymous

So, martens3d, did you find the solution to your problem (which is now my problem too)?

Message 11 of 25
grozo

SAME problem Smiley Surprised

Message 12 of 25

You can copy image from v-ray framebuffer to maya render view. In Maya Render View => File>Save Image (options) => check "Save Color-Managed Image". I believe this process can be automated via MEL. Just look into Script Editor.

Another solution could be -> remove "extra" gamma from image saved from V-Ray frame buffer directly. You can use ImageMagick to convert it to linear color space. I guess that is right solution.

Message 13 of 25

Thanks but how can i solve this problem in 3ds Max ?

Message 14 of 25

Sorry, I don't know 3DS Max. The only solution then -> save image (dark image in linear color space). Use this ImageMagick command (gamma depends on operating system - Windows 2.2, MacOSX - 1.8): convert c:/path_to_your_image/image.png -gamma 2.2,2.2,2.2 c:/path_to_your_image/new_image.png

P.S In post above I was wrong: when you save you image from framebuffer - it's in linear color space. You need to convert it to sRGB (apply gamma correction to image).

Message 15 of 25
nomis00

I am having this exact issue with Max 2016.  Frame buffer shows things more red, when you save it out is looks very green.  Like a hue adjustment or color management thing.

What did you do to solve this?

Message 16 of 25
Anonymous

This is the explanation of your problem:

In V-Ray frame buffer, there is icon in the bottom of window says 'sRGB' turn on. This make render so bright. If you turn it off, it will be change to darker, the saved image.

So to make saved image brightness look excatly like frame buffer? THIS IS THE ANSWER.

Go to Render Setup

Choose V-Ray tab

Go to V-Ray:: Color mapping

Uncheck/turn off Don't affect colors (adaptation only)

RENDER AGAIN!

Of course, if you render with don't affect colors turn off, and sRGB turn on, it would be very bright. So keep sRGB off oke.

Yourwelcome

Message 17 of 25
vinvolc30

Hi guys, also I've found to fix this issue with colors mismatches need to set up in generel preferences:> tab "GAMMA and LUT" -> uncheck button Enable Gamma/LUT correction. It has helped me

hope will help somebody

.Alex

Message 18 of 25
lameee

that did not work for me 😞

Message 19 of 25
cejLHJVR
in reply to: lameee

I was struggeling with this problem aswell. And finally found the solution, heres what you have to do:

- Press f9 (render)

- When your image is finished rendering, you press the save button

- A dialog pops up

- Where is says Gamma, there's two options: Automatic(Recommened) or Override

- Press Override, and type in 2,2

Now you should be fine

Message 20 of 25
cejLHJVR
in reply to: cejLHJVR

For general settings, please look at this blog

http://www.cg-blog.com/index.php/2013/06/08/gamma10-max2014.htm

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report