Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Environment Sphere Map Reflection Cutoff

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
mncarlton
608 Views, 11 Replies

Environment Sphere Map Reflection Cutoff

Does anyone know why the reflections on the building would stop like below? I have a spherical environment image mapped to the Environment/Background Switcher. It seems like the environment sphere is not covering the entire height, so then the building reflects blackness above. My environment settings are also shown below. This is using Mental Ray rendered, btw.

I appreciate any insight, thank you!

render test.jpg

settings.jpg

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Hello @mncarlton and welcome to the community,

I'd like to help with this rendering problem.  Is it possible there is a light in the sky there that could be blocking the environment rays?   Or some kind of photon emit radius issue with a directional light or something along those lines? 

To properly diagnose this I would need to get a look at the scene if possible.  I can create a private folder for you if you'd like, it makes problems like this much easier to solve.  If that is impossible, can you do a render with a chrome sphere instead of the building and post a screenshot of that?   Or, maybe remove the building and post the rest of the scene?  

This is a weird shape for it to be reflecting the blackness of the background, I would expect a straight line for that but in this case it's angular like a partially directional light or something along those lines.  Which version of 3ds Max is this for?  Thanks for the information!

Best Regards,

Message 3 of 12

Hello @mncarlton,

I just wanted to follow up here, any thoughts on my previous post?

Best Regards,

Message 4 of 12

Alfred, thanks for the reply. That would be great if you could set up a private folder and take a look at the scene to see what's happening. Let me know how i can get the file to you.

Thanks!

Message 5 of 12

Hello @mncarlton,

No problem at all.  I have set up a private folder for you if you'd like to upload your files there. You should get an email about it shortly, and if you don't see it please check your SPAM folder. These files are private and will not be shared with anyone but yourself and the support staff. Please let me know if you have any questions. Please use at least an 8 character password or the Box account may not work properly.  Thanks!

Best Regards,

Message 6 of 12

Ok, I uploaded the files to Box. I did find out that once I deleted the sky portals that I had set up in the corner towers, the issue went away. Now I just want to know why they caused the issue. Let me know what you find out.

Message 7 of 12

Ah ok, that's a key bit of information @mncarlton.   In most high end renderers, lights act as a ray blocker.  (As a light source in real life isn't invisible.)  So the problem was that those lights were blocking the environmental rays.  You shouldn't need any portal lights for an exterior render, so just take them out and you should be good to go.  The point of portal lights is to direct rays into a small opening, so you use them for windows in an interior shot to focus the rays into that area, but for an exterior show they don't add anything to the mix.  

I didn't look at the file yet, but this is what was happening based on your previous post.   If your goal is to get more light onto the building, maybe there are actual light sources for that on the building itself, or you can just raise those lights up a bit higher so that the angle for reflections doesn't see them.  Would that work?

Best Regards,

Message 8 of 12

Hello @mncarlton,

I just wanted to follow up here, is it all working now?

Best Regards,

Message 9 of 12

Alfred, yes it works properly once I deleted the skylight portals. I had them entirely within the walls of the towers, acting as uplights. So I wouldn't have thought that they would have any effect on environment lighting outside of their boundaries. Anyway, thanks for your help!
Message 10 of 12

Happy to help @mncarlton, thanks for the update.  I was equally puzzled by lights acting as ray blockers when I initially discovered it.  Smiley LOL

Best Regards,

Message 11 of 12

Hello @mncarlton,

I know this is resolved for you now, but something just doesn't seem right about them being inside the walls but affecting outside.  Is it possible they were scaled using the scale tool as opposed to the dimensions for the lights in the modifier menu?  Scaling lights can sometimes lead to weirdness and it's always best to use the dimensions in the actual light settings.  Just wanted to double check.

Best Regards,

Message 12 of 12

I don't believe that I scaled them, but rather just sized them with the dimension toolbar. But I'm glad you agree that the portals shouldn't have affected the scene the way I had it set up. Either way its good to know that they can cause such an issue! Thanks again, Alfred.

Matt Carlton
Job Captain

MYEFSKI ARCHITECTS, INC.
857 West Washington Street, Suite 302
Marquette, MI 49855
P: 906.273.2200
www.myefski.com

(c) Copyright 2017 Myefski Architects, Inc.
This electronic mail message was sent by Myefski Architects, Inc. and may contain information, photographs, graphics, and other material, collectively "Content", that are protected by copyrights, trademarks, service marks, trade secrets, or other proprietary rights. The Recipient is not permitted to remove or amend any trademark, copyright, or other proprietary notice and may not reproduce or distribute Content in any way without obtaining permission of the Owner. The Recipient may not modify, remove, publish, transmit, create derivative works from, or in any way exploit the Content, in whole or in part. While Myefski Architects, Inc. makes all reasonable attempts to exclude viruses from its e-mail, it cannot ensure such exclusion and no liability is accepted for any e-mail virus or resultant damage it may cause.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report