Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Default shading removal in both viewport and render

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
jan.simcik18
319 Views, 1 Reply

Default shading removal in both viewport and render

Hello everyone,

so I've been rather frustrated with my character lately. Been slowly modelling and texturing this dog-like figure and the issue I encountered is with undesired shadows under his eyeballs as can be seen in the picture attached. Also the shadows are there both in viewport as well as on the rendered picture. I rendered it with default scanline renderer I have one light in the scene and that is daylight, however, the shadows on it are off as well as cast and recieve shadows in the object properites of the eyeballs. I've tried several things and they either didn't work or resulted in something completely different than what I was hoping for. If anyone has any ideas on what could solve this I'd much appreciate those. 

Thanks. 🙂

test.png

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
CAMedeck
in reply to: jan.simcik18

Hi Jan,

What you're seeing are not actually shadows.  Your light is illuminating the top side of the eye geometry, but not the bottom.  Kind of like seeing the moon in the sky, where only part is lit and the rest is dark.  If you are using a Daylight System, you may want to use a render engine that supports indirect, or bounced, light.  If you want to keep using Scanline, then you'll need to do some creative lighting.  Back in my Scanline days, I typically used a 3 point lighting scheme.  One main light, and two fill lights to fake ambient lighting.

Chris Medeck
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report