Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2017 - Cannot save from render output window

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
bthatcher
3317 Views, 13 Replies

2017 - Cannot save from render output window

I cannot save an image from the Render output window. For what I do I often need a basic image of my geometry for creating masks. It's worked fine for years. I also tried assigning a Render Output path and I get an error. 

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Daf
Advisor
in reply to: bthatcher

Hi,

What renderer are you using, or is it with all of them? What is the exact error text?

3DS Max 2020.3
i7-4790 @4GHz • 32GB • GTX 1080/8GB • Windows 7 Pro
Message 3 of 14
bthatcher
in reply to: Daf

I went through it again, so unless i'm missing something... I can copy from that dialog onto the clipboard and paste it into photoshop.

save-render.PNG

Message 4 of 14
Daf
Advisor

I'm not having same issue with 2017.  Judging from that error I can't help but think this may be a folder permissions or drive issue. Can you save to another location? Also see if it continues to fail if you try to save to another drive or even a USB key.

3DS Max 2020.3
Message 5 of 14

Hello @bthatcher,

This might be an odd question, but is that a valid path?  Meaning, was it created in an older file and now that user doesn't exist with that same exact name/path?  

What happens if you repath it to a folder somewhere on C: instead of your desktop, does it work then?  You may not have the permissions to write for your desktop, which is odd but seems possible.  Thanks for the extra details.

Best Regards,

Message 6 of 14

I found the problem, my computer was unplugged! Ha, kidding. Thank you for your reply, I guess that's possible. A little more testing revealed that I could save to .jpg or .bmp, but not .png. Also, I was using the default ART renderer. When I switched to Scanline, I could save to .png. I've not explored the ART renderer to any length. Can someone test that? Thanks.

Message 7 of 14
Daf
Advisor

HI,

I can, and often do, save as .png from the RFW when using the ART Renderer. Just tested again to be sure. No problems here.

3DS Max 2020.3
Message 8 of 14

Hello @bthatcher,

My experience was the same as @Daf's here.  Which service pack are you currently running?  I don't see any currently existing bug tracker cases for Art and saving .PNG files, but if this is reproducible I'd be happy to log it.  Does this happen with all files or just the current one?  What happens if you try to save it to a different place like C: root or your desktop?

Best Regards,

Message 9 of 14

Hello @bthatcher,

I just wanted to follow up here, any progress on this issue?  

Best Regards,

Message 10 of 14

Thanks for checking back. I don't know, just a fluke I guess. Consider it resolved. 

Message 11 of 14

Hello @bthatcher, thanks for the update.  

Is it happening with all files or just the one?  If this persists or the problem evolves, please let me know.   I don't want to just give up on ya, but I understand if you'd prefer to move on.  I can create a private folder if you want me to check the file.  

I'll be out of office for the next 5 days so you don't have to respond unless you want to, but I'll happily work on this if you'd like for as long as you'd like. 

Best Regards,

Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: Daf

I am having the exact same issue, suddenly last night. Also with .png files. I am unable to save from the render window, from a clone window, or to a save location specified in the render dialog, or to a location in the render elements dialog. I was attempting to save a shadow only frame, so had specified a render elements, shadow save location and that's when the save trouble started. I did a full render the day before to .tga fine. I tried different drives and folders to no avail. I got the same dialog box that said Max was unable to save the .png file.

I am rebooting now to try again, seeing if it does happen whether it works to change to tiff format. I will update the result here. If it is still broken I will post my system config. If it suddenly works again I will mention that.

Message 13 of 14
bthatcher
in reply to: Anonymous

Yea I don't know. A reinstall or point release probably fixed it. I hope it doesn't start back up for me!

Message 14 of 14
Anonymous

OK, I rebooted computer and tried again, loading a different Max file. I find that I am able to save a .png file as long as it is 24 or 48 bit, and it can be with or without alpha. Max is failing to save, either from the render window or the render dialog box save location, a greyscale 8 or 16 bit file, doesn't matter if it is with or without an alpha. So this seems to be for me at this time a greyscale .png only problem. I can save an 8-bit greyscale tiff file, no problem, but there is no other greyscale 16-bit save format, so the file I want to save I just can't. I believe I have the latest software config for 2017, as it has SP3. I am unable to install Windows 10 on this workstation due to an incompatibilty with the motherboard.

Max: version 19.0 sp3 commercial (2017)

workstation: Lightbeam E5 16200

proc: Intel Xeon E5-2650 (2) @ 2.00GHz

mem: 64GB

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report