Community
3ds Max Programming
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max SDK, Maxscript and Python topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Distribute python script to users

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
jojizaidi
375 Views, 2 Replies

Distribute python script to users

Hey Guys,

I've created a python script with some supporting files and placed it in my Max Directory/scripts/Python folder. 

Now I want to distribute it to people to use. How should I go about it? I would ideally like a button in the menu from which users can run this script.

I couldn't find any documentation on distributing a python script as a plugin. 

Any thoughts on how I should go about this?

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
mbreidt
in reply to: jojizaidi

You should be able to use the normal .mzp installation feature designed for MAXScript to place your Python files in the right folders.

So your user would only get a single .mzp file to drag and drop onto a 3ds Max session.

Message 3 of 3
michele
in reply to: jojizaidi

I have had the same need.
You have some different ways.
1. Put your script in a shared folder, better if this is a shared folder on a nas and the structure of this folder are the same of "localappdata" folder of 3dsmax. Create a file ".Bat" with all the instruction, for example a simple "robocopy" that copy that folder from a Nas to each user in "localappdata" folder of 3dsmax. Put this bat file on the desktop of all user. Every time you need sincronize a script put it in the shared folder and say at your user "Hay bro! There is a new stuff! click on bat file and restart 3dsmax :clinking_beer_mugs:"

2. If you have more computer connected to a windows server and some group policy... you can use Group Policy Manager of Windows Server to execute the same bat file automatically at logon of every single user.

Scuse me for my English 😜

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report