Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to remove green map seams

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
fmsmarta
24286 Views, 9 Replies

Unable to remove green map seams

Hi there!

I'm working with a model I downloaded from here. It's already been rigged and unwrapped, so when I apply the Unwrap UVW modifier, some green map seams appear. However, I need to do the unwrapping from scratch, which means that I need to delete, remove or reset what's been done before, but I'm finding it imposible!

I've tried adding the UVW Mapping Clear modifier, stitching the seams, removing them by clicking ALT+left in the Edit Seam mode (only works with the blue seams that I create), following the steps in this tutorial... None of this has worked for me.

I can't post a picture of the model right now, I'm sorry 😞 Do you have any ideas? What am I missing?

PS: I'm working with 3DS Max 2015.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
fmsmarta
in reply to: fmsmarta

This is the model I'm working with:

1.PNG

2.PNG

Message 3 of 10
mathew22

Them green seams are normal when you add the unwrap UVW modifier. They basicly tell you where your texture edges on your shells end. You want these seams to be places like in cracks or somewhere the player wont see the seam. For this you would need to re unwrap him correctly. There are several tutorials out there but depends some tools change depending on version. Dont follow them to the point and experiment with the different tools to learn.

Message 4 of 10
ekahennequet

Hi. I looked at the model you downloaded. The model has overlapping, mirrored UVs where one set of UVs is shared by the other half. This would have been a lot easier to fix had the UVs been intact and not broken up into individual UV polys the way it is currently, but you can do a combnation of using the Edit UVW Window and the Viewport to separate the UV clusters. (See video link below) If you want to use the exhisting UV layout, then don't try to Remove/Reset the UV map. 

Option A: In UV Polygon mode, select the UV polys by groups in the Edit UVW Window. You'll notice the selected UVs in the Viewport. Deselect the half of the mirrored UVs from the Viewport. Go back to the Edit UV Window and choose Weld. This creates a UV Element/cluster without broken Edges. Repeat the process for the other half, and the rest of the model. See my Screencast response below (maximize the player for better viewing):

Option B: Re-doing the UV Unwrapping will require you to create a whole new UV layout. If you want to re-do the UV map from scratch, then create new seams in the Viewport (not UVW Edit Window) using the "Edit Seams" or "Point-to-Point Seams" tools under Peel rollout. You can hide the exhisting "green" map seams while you do this. It shouldn't take too long if you're familiar with the UV Unwrapping.

If you're new to UV unwrapping, take a look at this list of videos, specifically Chapter 8, 9, and 10 for Organic Models.

UV Unwrapping

Hope this helps.

Message 5 of 10
fmsmarta
in reply to: ekahennequet

Thank you for such an exhaustive answer! I'm trying to follow the steps shown in the video and it is working fine so far. Eternally grateful!
Message 6 of 10
fmsmarta

I'm sorry to bother you again. I've been following the steps in the video and it worked out fine at first, but when I finished I noticed that the default green seams had shown up again. When it comes to relaxing the elements, the program ignores my blue seams and just follows the green ones, so the unwrapping can't be done properly. 

I'm attaching the file, just in case it helps.

Here's what I have:

edituvw.PNG

seams.PNG

Message 7 of 10
ekahennequet

Hi. I looked at you file again. Those remaining green seams are created because your model itself has open edges. Those green seams will never go away unless you close those open edges. You will need to weld the vertices of the model first, then weld the UV vertices. Make sure you don't go back down the modifier stack to edit the model. Convert or collapse the model to Editable Poly, or apply Edit Poly on top of the Unwrap UVW modifier to edit the mesh. (See screencast at bottm of the post)

Relax tool: Even after I selected all of your UV vertices and clicked "Weld" I still found overlapping UVs in the finger areas. (see picture) Some of the fingers's UVs can be fixed by using Relax, but others didnt' relax well. The reason for this is because some of the fingers UVs didn't have any slits. For example: Imagine half of an orange with just the skin. It will look like a bowl. Try to flatten the orange peel without making a slit. It will be impossible without tearing the skin. So, think of your model's finger UVs as these ornage peel bowls that need cuts/slits. Choose an area that is not very visible and in UV Edge mode, select edges, then "Break."

UV_Seam.JPG

Blue seams: Those aren't actual Map seams. They are only there to guide you during the UV mapping process to make selections. When you're creating or re-mapping your UVs, that's when you use those blue seams. You follow up with one of the many UV tools to convert those blue seams into actual UV seams (Green). e.g. Pelt, Planar, Unfold, Flattern, etc.

Edited post: I attached the scene file with welded mesh vertices as well as the UV vertices. I did not relax the finger UVs. Hope this helps.

Message 8 of 10
fmsmarta

Yes, welding the vertices finally solved the problem! I had actually tried welding the green seams, not the vertices... I can't believe it was so simple! I'm doing the unwrapping of the model as part of a college assignment. Our professors have taught us just the most basic concepts and tools of 3ds Max, so every tiny problem I find means hours of struggling and searching through the whole world wide web. I usually find the solution, but this issue had been driving me mad for weeks. Thank you so so so much for you help, effort and patience!!
Message 9 of 10
ekahennequet

@fmsmarta wrote:
Yes, welding the vertices finally solved the problem! I had actually tried welding the green seams, not the vertices... I can't believe it was so simple! I'm doing the unwrapping of the model as part of a college assignment. Our professors have taught us just the most basic concepts and tools of 3ds Max, so every tiny problem I find means hours of struggling and searching through the whole world wide web. I usually find the solution, but this issue had been driving me mad for weeks. Thank you so so so much for you help, effort and patience!!

You're very welcome. Good luck on your assignment.

Message 10 of 10
serviceDDE4G

If i have 20 Multi-sub objects in 3Dmax, how can i get 20 material slots in UnrealEngine4? 

I have 1 big house model that is many models "attached" ....then that 1 big house model is divided into its materials by (20) multi/sub objects. So the model has 20 materials. BUT when I open UnrealEngine4 I get 4 material slots for the model in the material editor. How can I get all 20 material slots directly referenceing the 20 multi-subobjects? 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report