Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to make an object visible

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Margaret_Rastall
1436 Views, 6 Replies

Unable to make an object visible

Hi

I have a project that I am working on that a hide a few objects from view whilst rendering.  The project has become active again and I need to make some edits, and I now need the objects unhidden.  However I am not able to turn them back on (by switching on the lightbulb)

I also have some layers that have a yellow box around them, but I cannot seem to find what the yellow box refers to.

Any help would be appreciated!

Layer Menu.JPG

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Looks like the objects were hidden independently from the Layer. Double click on the FD-Slats LAYER, this will select the nested layers within the Layer. Then click on the Light bulb on any of the nested layer's. (See Attachment).

Please let me know if this works.

Message 3 of 7

Clicking or double clicking on the FDSlats just highlights the whole list and nothing still happens when clicking the lightbulb 😕
Message 4 of 7

Is it possible for you to send me the file with only that layer privately? I can try out something.

Message 5 of 7

Hi Fadhil

Many thanks for your assistance to help - I have sent you a link to the file.

Regards
Maggie

Message 6 of 7

The file you sent is missing the necessary files and/or Layers that's problematic. These files are probably external objects such as XRefs and therefore aren't included in this max file. 

Attachment 1 - Missing XRef Files - (message upon opening)

Attachment 2 - Missing Scene Files - (Message upon opening)

Attachment 3 - Missing FD Slats Layer/IMAGES (From your Original image that you posted, these look like they are some kind of IMAGE Layers)

Question : What happenes when you select these objects and Press Z on your keyboard? Select Just one of these FD Slats Object and press Z to see if the Viewport Zooms in. Also check if it's possible to move the object even though it's invisible. Most importantly, check it's Polycount, if it is at all a Geometry. (to turn on Statistics, press Alt + B, then go to Statistics, turn on Triangle Count and also turn on Total + Selection)

You could also try Right clicking on the selected object and check it's object properties to see if some settings are conflicting with it's visibility.

I am Sorry I couldn't do much...

Message 7 of 7

Hi

Apologies - as I said it was a while since I last worked on the files.  Yes, double checked and the slats are on an xref'd layer. Although I thought I was able to turn on and off the individual objects despite being xref.  But it does look like its either layer on or off, and the specifics I will have to do before direct (and then update the xref link).

So a bit of a flaff - however a least I can do what I need.

Thanks for your help! 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report