Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scale tool not working

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
sgreagan
2702 Views, 7 Replies

Scale tool not working

I've just run into a problem with the scale tool in 3DS max 2021.

I press the scale option in the toolbar, but when I click on an object all it lets me do is move it. No scaling.

If the object being moved hits another object, it turns itself to another angle.

Anybody know how to fix this?

Labels (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
CAMedeck
in reply to: sgreagan

That behavior is not the scale tool.  That is the Object Placement tool.  The scale tool is between that one and the rotate tool.  Scale looks like a little white box with a larger, dotted line box.

Are you sure you're selecting the correct tool?  Try using the Quad Menu to choose Scale and see if that works.

Chris Medeck
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 8
sgreagan

I'm positive. I even tried reinstalling the software and that didn't work. I clicked the exact tool you described and it still won't let me scale. It only drags the object around.

Message 4 of 8
sgreagan
in reply to: CAMedeck

Yes. I selected the exact tool you were talking about and it still wouldn't let me scale. It only let me drag the object around. Reinstalling the software didn't help either.

Message 5 of 8
CAMedeck

Have you tried selecting the scale tool through the Quad menu?

If you hit F12 to bring up the Transform Type-In box, does it show correctly for scaling?

Chris Medeck
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 8
2deep_ytb
in reply to: CAMedeck

You know, I have the same problem, and since I can put images and videos... F12 didn't help at all...

Message 7 of 8
2deep_ytb
in reply to: 2deep_ytb

Nevermind, I found it accidentally... I'll show you in a video...

In case you didn't understand, this happens when you hold ALT and move the tool. Which, most don't do it to change things, ya know?
So, to fix it... "Reset to default state" on the top right of the Workspaces.
Like, who changes their workspaces anyways...?

Tags (1)
Message 8 of 8
CAMedeck

@2deep_ytb thank you for the video.  You should not be able to have two tools highlighted at the same time.  This is not normal behavior.

Have either of you tried to reset your ENU folder?

Chris Medeck

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report