Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove overlapping on Mesh

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
9605 Views, 2 Replies

Remove overlapping on Mesh

Hello there,

I'm quite new to 3ds max and modeling in general so this question might be easy to answer but I couldn't find anything similar on the web.

My problem is the following :

I started modeled an object by breaking it down into its very parts. Then I created alle the pieces and used the Attach button on editable poly to connect them. But as I simply pushed the separate parts together and combined them the final result has a lot of intersecting parts. That becomes problematic when trying to use transparency as parts with more layers appear darker.

Is there a way to correct my mesh. I basically want, that the most outer layer of the model stays while the inside is removed. For that new edges should be created wherever two parts overlap...

Thank you all for your help!
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
bob.bernstein
in reply to: Anonymous

Parts are combined by attaching them (you've done that) and then welding the vertices of the two parts to make them one.  

Message 3 of 3
kgokhangurbuz
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello;

Yes, there's a way and it's a common way which is almost a standard workflow for such actions you'd like to apply on your model. This action is called Collapsing Geometry.

First of all, you should not attach such objects if it's a matter of transparency / opacity / refraction. Please follow these steps in your workflow:

Position two or more objects with intersecting volumes and select one of the geometries (again, none of them should be attached) Fig01

Capture.JPG

Go to Either Create > Geometry > Compound Objects > Proboolean (or Boolean, but Proboolean is preferred in most cases) or Utilities Tab in your Command Panel

For Proboolean / Boolean:

-Select the Union Option under Parameters > Operation Tab

-Click on Start Picking / Pick

-Click on the other geometries

-You can see that they share the same volume now, because the intersecting parts are removed from eachother and the geometries became one single object.

For Utilities Section Fig02:

Capture2.JPG

-Choose all the geometries that intersect

-Click on Collapse

-Choose Single Object > Boolean > Union

-Click on Collapse Selected

Regards;

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report