Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem using axis constraints

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
1106 Views, 2 Replies

Problem using axis constraints

I'm having trouble using Axis Constraints to snap to stuff in Max 2019, and actually in previous versions going back to 2016 (abandoned previous attempts to use them and just used a more laborious workflow).

As far as I can see from the Autodesk documentation and any other resources I can find, it's a simple case of toggling the axis constraint/constraints you want to use on while ensuring that the Enable Axis Constraints in Snaps Toggle is also toggled on. I've done this and also checked my Grid and Snap settings to ensure the Use Axis Constraints checkbox is ticked which it is. When I select an object/vertex etc and move it with for example the X axis constraint selected, it can move on Z and Y as well, and if I deliberately grab the handle for Z or Y to test it, the Axis Constraint actually toggles to whatever axis I've tried to move, which seems bizarre as this is the precise opposite of the behaviour I would have expected. Any suggestions would be hugely appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
miledrizk
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

Sometimes the Axis Constraints switches Axes while you're dragging,

So while dragging and without releasing the mouse button

Press F5 for the X-axis, F6 for Y-Axis, F7 for Z-Axis,

F8 will toggle between XY, XZ, YZ every time you press it.

A while ago I made a tutorial about Axis Constraints if you like to check it:

https://youtu.be/eW7NBVAd3zo

------------------------------------------------------
miledrizk@gmail.com
3DS Max 2021, V-Ray 5.2
3DS Max user since 2003 (3DS Max 7)
V-Ray user since 2008 (V-Ray 1.47)
My YouTube Channel http//www.youtube.com/c/MiledRizk
Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: miledrizk

Thanks for your response mate, I watched the video and realised my mistake - I'd been trying to grab hold of the transform gizmo on any of its handles rather than simply grabbing the actual vertex or whatever that I wanted to move and this was what was overriding the axis constraint etc. For some reason I believed the gizmo should only move on whichever axis you had axis constraints set to even if you grabbed another handle. Last time I tried it seemed that I couldn't use the transform gizmo at all with axis constraints but so long as you select the correct handle it does seem to work reliably, I checked using the F-keys as you mentioned while you've got hold of the handle and this does work also.

Cheers 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report