Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie question, joining line spline with arc spline?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Dystopiian
4818 Views, 4 Replies

Newbie question, joining line spline with arc spline?

Hello! I'm hoping someone could help me.

I'm a Uni student learning 3ds max for games development and we're doing a floor plan assignment, I am able to create simple box shapes with the spline tool and extrude walls from that, however, I'm creating a somewhat unique floor plan which involves an arc (that I'm planning to be used as windows) and when drawing out my plan I do not get the dialog window "Close this spline?" I've tried connecting all the verts manually (don't understand how to weld yet) and still no luck.
I was able to attach the inner and outer splines together and extrude walls from them but the walls are not solid/filled. They appear to have space between each other. I think this is what's stopping me from being able to use the Boolean tool to create windows and doorways. 

I will attach a screenshot of what I'm working on, if you need better screenshots to see whats going on I can happily upload more.

2018.04.25-23.33.pngIn short: Able to attach, extrude splines but without closing the spline because I used an arc spline. Walls are 'hollow' as it were. 

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
KarlAkimor
in reply to: Dystopiian

There are several aspects to weld verts:

You only can weld a vert to two segments, anything else use simply fuse.

If you are doing splines they need to be attached in order to weld them

image.png

You can avoid creating new lines deactivating "start new shape"

image.png

You can activate the snap to verts to join different lines

image.png

For welding overlapping verts simply select them and use weld in vert subobject mode in the edit spline

Notice in the menu how it says how many verts you have selected, the weld menu and the distance that will allow weld verts and the automatic weld system.

image.pngimage.pngimage.png

You need to use shell instead extrude.

image.png

Message 3 of 5
Dystopiian
in reply to: KarlAkimor

Karl... words cannot describe how grateful I am about your response. Thank you so so so much. 
I did have to start again because I'm pretty sure I passed the point of no return with my the file I had in the screenshots. 

You even taught me some things my teacher hasn't taught us yet. 
And it still took some trial and error on my end as I'm not used to all the tools and interface yet so it felt awesome to trouble shoot that with your help! 😄

But I did follow your instructions step by step and a weight had been lifted. Thank you!
Can i ask, is there a benefit of using Shell instead of Extrude?2018.04.26-01.28_LI.jpg

(I know I'm using Extrude in the pic, I was just testing it :))

Message 4 of 5
KarlAkimor
in reply to: Dystopiian

Unlike the Extrude modifier, you can extrude faces in both directions simultaneously (up and down). What’s more, you can add material ID settings to the top, bottom, and edge polygons directly from the modifier.

And finally, you can control the edge profile with another spline– just like the Bevel Modifier. So the Shell Modifier is really a combination of Extrude and Bevel Profile.

image.png

Message 5 of 5
KarlAkimor
in reply to: KarlAkimor

The advantage of extrude is that you can extrude open splines (it won't be a solid object) when with shell they need to be closed. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report