Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move gizmo won't limit to axis when I turn snap on

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
DrStein99
3259 Views, 6 Replies

Move gizmo won't limit to axis when I turn snap on

I must have pressed a keyboard shortcut, for some reason this just started happening.

When I move sub-objects,i use the axis gizmo to guide along a z, x, or y axis. (see picture)

axis constraint1.png

Now for some reason when I click on SNAPS, the limited to axis goes away and I can't snap-guide along an axis.  I went through the snap configure dialog and didn't see anythign obvious.  I tried closing the project, resetting, and rebooting computer. still happens.

(see picture after I select "snap on" the gizmo won't let me select one axis, it just sticks on all 3)

axis constraint2s.png

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
DrStein99
in reply to: DrStein99

Nevermind, I found it in the snap dialog, I was too frustrated to see it the first hour I was looking. I can't see a DELETE MESSAGE option here, so I apologize for confusion,
Message 3 of 7
o_blob

could you post the solution?

Message 4 of 7
DrStein99
in reply to: o_blob

axis constraint3.png

Right-click "snaps toggle" and select" options panel, check "enable axis constraints".  Why someone would NOT want to enable?  I dont know.  Aparently this must be connected to a keyboard shortcut somehow when my cat decided to walk on the keyboard it was probably toggled.  

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

It used to be enabled by default, but in Max2015(?) they switched it so it was disabled by default. Glad you found your fix! 

Message 6 of 7
DrStein99
in reply to: Anonymous

it was REALLY ANNOYING.  I was on a roll, modeling for hours and that happened.  I couldn't figure out why it was happening, and continued to try to keep going and find alternate ways to get around it, but it just defeated me.  

Message 7 of 7
bob.bernstein

Thanks for the heads up.  I just ran into this myself, thanks for having the solution ready.  You just don't expect hidden defaults to be changed.  

Bob

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report