Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Display vertex/face index in viewport

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
15673 Views, 11 Replies

Display vertex/face index in viewport

hi

is there a way of having the viewport display the vertex or face index for editable poly? like the check box found in editable spline "show vertex numbers". i've seen some scripts on scriptspot for 3dsmax 4 but they don't seem to work in 2008. was it implemented directly in max since then, i can't find it?

thanks
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
ramissin
in reply to: Anonymous

I know this was posted a long time ago, but I too am needing to display the vertex numbers on a mesh or poly.
The only other reference I could find is this thread.

http://area.autodesk.com/forum/autodesk-3ds-max/modeling/show-vertex-name/

Is this still not possible?

tia
Message 3 of 12
MedalHellWay

Run this script (created by Steve) and see the number and position of the vertex selected in Listener WIndows...

(
vSel = $.selectedVerts
if vSel.count != undefined then
(
for v = 1 to vSel.count do
format "Vertex: % Pos: %\n" vSel.index vSel.pos
)
)

If you want to see the total number of vertices and faces in an object, select the function "Shows Statistics" (7)
Message 4 of 12
ramissin

Thanks michele,(& Steve)

That's a handy little script for selected verts, but I can see the vertex number in the modifier panel when i have individual verts selected.

What I was hoping for was to be able to display the vertex numbers in the viewport.....similar to editable spline "Show Vertex Numbers" like the original poster Sorin_Sava.

I'm having trouble with imported meshes and would like to see the vertex number structure and layout.
Message 5 of 12
Steve_Curley
in reply to: ramissin

This, I'm sure, has been asked for before. I don't know if it's possible via Maxscript - I suspect that if it was someone would have done it by now. Probably requires the SDK to do the job properly.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 6 of 12
MedalHellWay

Now I understand ... I know of no way to do this.
You can link the script (max4) that did this? I want to take a look at it...
Message 7 of 12
Steve_Curley

Unless Sorin_Sava is still around to answer that you'd have to go searching I'm afraid. The original post (in this thread) is from Jan 2008 and I don't recall seeing him/her post here recently.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 8 of 12
ramissin

"I suspect that if it was someone would have done it by now"

Yup, good point Steve.

I don't have the script, I've just searched scriptspot and can't find anything.
Message 9 of 12
Raven_Gothchild

There is a macro script that shows and hides the vertex numbers at their positions in the viewports that runs on Max 2010 upwards.

It can be downloaded from ReddixCGI.com

Download it and set it up as a UI button then it will open a floater with a toggle button on to switch the vert numbers on and off.

Message 10 of 12
ramissin

Woo hoo...3 years and I finally get a solution, dude you should get a job @ AD development team.

thanks anyway.

Message 11 of 12
Couch_Potatoh

Super old post I know, but that link to the site no longer exists.. Is there something out there still that can do this?

Message 12 of 12
Chin
in reply to: Couch_Potatoh

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report