Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating inner and outer radius

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
769 Views, 8 Replies

Creating inner and outer radius

Could someone please show me how to create inner and outer (smooth) radius on this extruded  object.  Edit Poly only has "chamfer".  However when I use that tool, the corners are not smooth where the "verticle" edge meets the horizontal plane. They don't flow evenly around the corners. I'm using MAX 2013 64 bit version on Windows 10 pro. 

Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
bob.bernstein
in reply to: Anonymous

Couple methods off the top, although having made this file, I note you seem to be on max 2013 by the filename.  If so, the example on the left using the opensubdiv modifier is not an option...I think that feature debuted in 2015.  The example on the right, though is the old tried and true turbosmooth.  All I added was edge loops to control the radius.  

Notice how much more geometry exists in my results, many more polygons.  Without subdividing the mesh (which both of these modifers do, best you can acheive is smoothing of normals.  Remember, polygons are flat in CAD.  So if you want radii to look smooth you have to have more polygons.  

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: bob.bernstein

Bob:

Could you please save the file as a 2013 max file and repost. 

Thanks.  Kenn

Message 4 of 9
bob.bernstein

of course, sorry.  so,  2013 won't allow the opensubdiv, so ignore that part.  I couldn't export to 2013...but then it occurred to me that this is all so simple that a screenshot should do.  

on the left, your object with 2 loops of edges added...near the top of the object, and near the intesection with the plane.  These control the curvature when turbosmooth modifier is applied.  The modifier is turned off on the left hand image.  Only diff on the right hand image is I turned on the modifier.

Highlight the "control edges" I added and slide them up and down with turbosmooth active.   You'll realize what they do right away.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous

Cool. So basically to get better detail on the edges, I need to increase face count by using Ring, Loop, connect....  Sounds perfectly logical.  Thanks, Have a Merry Christmas.  Kenn

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

You wouldn't have any links to a good Tutorial site for "edge loops" do you?  I found one for 2017, but I'm, running 2013

Message 7 of 9
bob.bernstein

All I had to do was google "high poly modelling in max 2013"!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD30TI6j_KQ
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous

Thanks.  Yes Google is great if you know "what" to google.  Type in a different string of words and you get a different answer.

Message 9 of 9
bob.bernstein

Yes, it was an advantage to have the correct term in my head.  Good luck.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report