Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant see edges when i select an object 3ds max 2013

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
44805 Views, 12 Replies

Cant see edges when i select an object 3ds max 2013

I know about F3 and F4, but usually when i used maya and 3ds max 2014, i could see edges when i select an object....now i cant. When i go into edge mode, i cant even see edges at all unless i blindly select them. This image i show has a box of 2 segments and i selected the middle edges....can only see what i selected in red.

Any help?

Tags (1)
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Steve_Curley
in reply to: Anonymous

Viewport Configuration Dialog (click the "+" viewport label then Configure Viewports) > Visual Style and Appearance (tab) > Display Selected with Edged Faces.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: Steve_Curley

O M G! thank you soooo much! ive been trying to find this online for 5+ hours and noone had the answer! U are the best thanks!

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous

thank you too!
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous

I agree with all the thank yous!
Message 6 of 13
mcamerasc

I can't find it in Max 2017

1.JPG

help please 🙂 

Thanks!!!

Tags (3)
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: mcamerasc

I'm currently having the exact same problem. So frustrating! Did you figure out where this was in the 2017 version? 

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous

I also encountered this issue in 3DS Max 2017. Couldn't find the option in the preferences, but it seems to help if you select the following from within the viewport (see image in attachment) in the shading options (not on the [+] but the rightmost option [Default Shading] in my case)

Display Selected ==> Display Selected With Edged Faces

That's actually the same setting that was mentioned in the first solution, I guess they just changed the location in the menus.

Hope this helps! Bruno

Message 9 of 13
prashantmakwana16

Yes it is "Display selected with edged faces"

For 3DS MAX 2017 now it is under Pre-View Preference, (3rd option right to the plus sign)

Pre-View Preference.png

Message 10 of 13

I don't mean to necro a dead thread but this came up for me today and the posted fix didn't solve it for me.  I was doing some work with soft selection and then I attached it to a part that didn't have soft selection enabled.  Then my edges didn't show the selection in red.  To fix the problem for me, I just had to check soft select on and then off and the problem resolved.  Marking this as another solution.  

Best Regards,

Message 11 of 13
leen1999leena
in reply to: mcamerasc

I have a 2019 3dmax version I solved this problem by going to views menu in the top of 3d max window:

Views > show materials in view port as > override with fast shader. 

Message 12 of 13
lauracatalinaperezrodriguez

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!

Message 13 of 13
Diffus3d

Looks like there are a couple things in here that worked for people but aren't marked as solutions, I'm going to mark the latest 2 so folks like Laura have an easier time in the future.

Best Regards,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report