Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3DS Max 2020.2 + - editable poly cut tool crashes max

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
jibijib
2209 Views, 16 Replies

3DS Max 2020.2 + - editable poly cut tool crashes max

Can anyone test and confirm that the cut tool in Max has been 'updated' and is now completely unstable and broken.

Mine doesn't cut properly (like the recognition of cutting to an edge isn't there anymore and creates another vertex instead of splitting an edge), and regularly crashes Max. Installed 2020.2, and then 2020.3 last week, and have 20+ crashes in the past few days.

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: jibijib

for me it is stable and works.

Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Same here cutting across multiple edges work. Cut tools is stable, no crashes.

Message 4 of 17
Anonymous

@jibijib wrote:

Can anyone test and confirm that the cut tool in Max has been 'updated' and is now completely unstable and broken.

Neither have it been updated nor it is  unstable or broken.

Must be something on your side, but i have no idea where you would start searching. Could be your geometry.

Message 5 of 17
jibijib
Message 6 of 17
Anonymous

Cut hasn't been working properly for the last 3 vesions of max. It will crash randomly at any point, always save before making a cut, this is super frustrating working with heavy scenes. I usually export the model to a new scene, make cuts, and import it back in. This really needs to be fixed..

Watch my video to see what i mean, i can reproduce it without fault 100% of the time. 

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous

I just turned on snap toggle to vertex mode and now it no longer crashes. This is only works for this scenario tho, if i need to cut to edges it would still crash.

I suspect it happens when the geometry comes from autocad.

Message 8 of 17
izi_ak83

In my case, it crashes regularly with the native Max geometry .. I is so frustrating ...
Message 9 of 17
martin.englund

Hi, I´ve tried to du the cut process in top view and it seems to work. 

Message 10 of 17

4 years later and the cut tool only seem to have gotten worse. I can't even cut through a single polygon without 3ds max crashing. They will probably never fix this

Message 11 of 17

Probably not, because it is not reproducible for other people. Meaning it's not the cut operation itself, but combination of other factors that makes max crash while cutting.

If you want it to change - report it as a bug and be ready to provide excessive info on PC specs, logs, example scene etc etc etc

Message 12 of 17
jasperrubino

I am in 2024 and have this issue also. Both on my work and home pc. If it doesnt crash the program, the cut tool is spazzing out snapping to all sorts of verts and edges far away from my cursor. Its totally broken. I just made a new post about it. feeling lost with super basic function not working. 

Message 13 of 17
dmitriy.shpilevoy

Can anyone post a clean scene with single object that consistently crashes max when being cut?

Message 14 of 17
cpicard4A4QV

Same thing is happening in 3ds Max 2025 using obj imported or native Max cube..
Is not an object, is any object. This creates like a floating or unselectable vertex and then freeze.

2024-07-25 10_43_29-Untitled - Autodesk 3ds Max 2025.jpg

Here the only thing i want is change the edge loops. Nothing too complicated, it just freeze while cutting.

2024-07-25 10_56_51-Autodesk 3ds Max 2025.jpg

RTX3090 incompatibility with graphic card drivers? is updated but.. i don't know.

I just want to find a solution and this is the only thing i found wrote in 2020, so i just want a post how that error continues.

Thanks..

Message 15 of 17
cpicard4A4QV
in reply to: cpicard4A4QV

Just someone posted over there this and it was my solution right now.

"The cut tool was always buggy and still is, often making weird geometry and leaving strange residues. Try using the Paint Connect tool from the Edit group of the Modeling ribbon. Or, as you said, you can always select and connect Edges and then move them with pinch & slide options or slide the new edge with the Move tool constrained to Edge (also a handy icon for this on the ribbon). Hover the mouse over the P Connect icon and you'll see a list of keyboard modifiers, for example holding Shift will connect the edges perfectly down the middle, etc."

Thanks "DhulKarmain" reddit.
Message 16 of 17
ads_czechoj
in reply to: cpicard4A4QV

Thank you for reporting the issues experienced when using the cut tool. 
Would you mind attaching any 3ds Max files OBJ where I could reproduce the crash or multiple vertices issue? If you are not attaching a file, please record a video.
We have made many updates in the past few years, not only to the cut tool but also to the vertex selection and the size of the selectable offset. Below, I attached an image of the OBJ and a box converted to the Editable Poly. I can't reproduce any of the issues described here. 

Cut Tool_3ds Max_2025.jpg

Few tips:

• Increase (or decrease) the Vertex Pixel Radius to improve vertex selection in Customize/Preference Settings/Viewports/Selection Pixel Radius.
  • In the Grid and Snap Settings, select Vertex and activate the Snap tool when using the cut tool. This may improve the cutting precision, especially with very small objects.

Selection Pixel Radius.jpg

Message 17 of 17
jasperrubino

Please use a more complex model. Of course it will work on a cube. but when working on a more complex model, the problem becomes more present. I will try to reproduce the problem and record a video. Like I mentioned, it does not always behave this way, only at times. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report