Community
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

UVW Unwrap Improvements .

UVW Unwrap Improvements .

I been working lately on high poly rocks trying to unwrap them and make uvs , even though the previous improvements to uvs such as speed and symmetry etc etc has been great but really the tools hasn't been this efficient at getting he job done fast  , First thing Selections ! why there isnt lasso , Polygonal , spray and circular selections in Uvs ! i really needed that during the project of unwrapping HP rocks , other thing noticed how you can select edges or polygons in the Uvs tool box but you can't deselect them  ! i have to move the Uv unwrap box and deselect from the mesh itself on viewport !    , Another great tool is the " Show Area Distortion " it works fine on LP Meshes but in HP meshes it is very slow and it would save time if its fast ,

The Selection tools in the Unwrap UVW modifier doesnt work the way its supposed to ! for example if am using lasso or spray selection and Ignore backfacing is turned on ! it still selects polygons from the backfacing polys ! it doesn't work correctly .

last thing " you can help me add more ideas šŸ™‚ " is the auto pack & unwrap tools we really need some upgrades on that one ! because its there but we barely use them because most of the time it doesn't give us the results we are looking for .

7 Comments
Ehsan.Sarahian
Advocate

Another one! F.F.D tool for manipulating selected area in UVW Unwrap like Lattice tool in Maya Unwrap toolset.

Jan_Brana
Advocate

I have suggested this before, but the UnwrapUVW modifier needs a simple Select Tool, meaning we can select UVs without the risk of moving them by mistake.

electrotoast_old
Community Manager
Status changed to: Under Review

materialesescobar
Participant

Better automatic solution is needed for the connection with Unity (lightmaps)

Anonymous
Not applicable

I like the ability to hide and unhide faces with complex geometry.

10DSpace
Advisor

I would like to be a little more specific about requesting an improvement in the packing functions of the UVW Unwrap editor.  

The typical use case problem:  I have unwrapped UV islands that I care about the most (letā€™s call them the ā€œhero islandsā€) and have packed them to use the full UV tile space as best their shape and grouping  allows.  (I have used groups to protect the hero island configuration during packing of the islands to facilitate placement of texture maps in photoshop in this case.)    But there are remaining UV islands that will not appear as prominently (or at all) in the scene and I currently have been manually scaling and placing these left over islands to fit in the unused parts of the UV tile space.  Obviously this is a pain to do and it comes up frequently for me.  There is no way with current max tools to protect the hero islands in the UV tile space and automatically scale, fit and pack the left over islands into the available unused UV tile space without changing the layout of the hero islands.   

UV Island Unused space.png

Currently any attempt to pack the remaining unimportant islands with the existing packing functions changes the scaling of the the Hero Islands and scales the all of the islands to fit in the UV tile.  A feature that protects the current "Hero islands" layout and is able to find the unused space in the UV tile to pack the remaining islands would be  a great time saver.     Even exposing a function in maxscript to recognize unused UV tile space and use that in packing selected islands would be great and allow scripted solutions.

teratron
Advocate

Came to say Lasso and the other selections are still badly needed in the UV editor.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report