Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stop adding new features - focus on bug fixes and on performance improvements

Stop adding new features - focus on bug fixes and on performance improvements

After 16 years of using 3dsmax, I'm one of these users being tired of new features race, instead of making 3dsmax rock-stable and fast in ALL areas.

Thanks.

48 Comments
probedroid
Enthusiast

New features would be fine, if they worked. But for the most part they are only half-complete and bug-ridden and then never get touched again, making Max more an more a big messy box of broken tools. And the painful truth is it's often very important parts of the software, not just gimmicks. And then you get insulted with development time wasted on things like viewcube, new worse icons, the clown button, caddies...and softimage gets EOL. 

dgorsman
Consultant

I can hear the screaming now...

"Support for 4k/UHD monitors?  Sorry, working on fixes to existing features as requested."

"Support for 10xx GPUs?  Yeah, no - we're not supposed to waste time on new features."

"Running on Win 10?  Yeah, sorry - no.  Just doing what the users want."

"What do you mean, 'why was ____ changed?' ? Somebody wanted it fixed.  Give us some time, we'll switch it back."

"What do you mean, 'why was ____ changed back?' ? Somebody declared it wasn't a problem.  Give us some time, we'll switch it back.  Again."

Don't knock new features.  All you have to do is look at the entries here.  Smiley Happy

michael_spaw
Autodesk

Anyone that's voted for this item please feel free to post here your main pain points that you would like to see addressed.

Thanks!

Michael Spaw

3ds Max, Product Owner/Designer

Media and Entertainment Division

probedroid
Enthusiast

Hello Michael, thanks for listening, it's appreciated. And sorry for the outburst of frustration.

I guess it's hard to just make a list of the "main pain points", since it's the overall experience. And it really wouldn't make much sense to write another list inside the list. The customer feedback portal is the right place to collect these things. And even that was renewed now, mainly losing existing feedback and multi-vote functionality, causing seemingly unnecessary confusion.

Just for the sake of making a point I'd mention state sets, containers and viewport canvas as examples for features that were great ideas to provide much requested functionality, but never got to a point one could recommend them for real production use. So now they are features I just tell my students to better just forget and not touch. They tend to be irritated by the number of these things. As am I.

Would be a great start to just hide the buttons you are not supposed to ever press. Like boolean. I know it's in there for backward compatibility reasons. But hey, who needs compatibilty to broken geo from 1999 anyway. Or redundant stuff that has better solutions, like meshsmooth. Just make a checkbox for "hide obsolete or dysfunctional features".

To be fair there really were some things in customer feedback that got addressed. But even then I have to find out the long awaited new blended box mapping isn't working for most of the renderers max comes with, making me feel like I'm not allowed to enter the club although I paid. I'm sorry to say that the best experiences in max are those with 3rd party products. And that's been true for quite some time now.

Isaac_Zuniga
Advocate

I am all for this, more than ever now.

I believe that 3ds Max 2017 had a lot of potential, that is, until I saw it's stability issues...

I think if Autodesk made 3ds Max 2018, what 3ds Max 2017 was supposed to be, you know, as rock-stable as possible, and if a few features and improvements are possible, throw those in there as well.

My word(s) of advice, finish what was promised/started in 3ds Max 2017, and stabilize/fix everything that has problems within the program too. After the code is super stable, then I believe that new features cannot hurt.

RGhost77
Advisor

Max already behind Maya in many aspects. If Adsk stop adding new features in Max I think it  will be EOL of Max. Really, you need outdated but stable technology?

aon.914858227
Mentor

Disagree here: Like RGhost said: Max is already behind with features in many places. No one buys into bugfix-releases, it`s features that sell the software. Stability and perfomance can be addressed as we move forward.

lightcube
Advisor

Agree and Disagree. Obviously, bug fixes, stability and performance are extremely high priorities. At the same time, there is no good reason to have those at the expense of new features. The problem is a culture of releasing new features that are not ready to be released and the even more embarrassing problem of not actually finishing them. We can all speculate on the cause of this long-winded trend... but whatever it is really needs to stop if AD expects customers to stick around indefinitely.

anonamice
Enthusiast
It's not just stability, its usability. Few examples. -Color correct map, really essential tool if you render is pretty much garbage. -Color mapping curves, again if you render you spend time here every day, they are terrible to work with, really just horrible. No key commands, tiny and inaccurate. Just a mess. - spline modeling...want to extrude a spline segment like you do a poly edge, no deal, you are about one minutes and ten clicks away from having it. And on top of that the lack of stability. Truth is if a daily user was setting priorities then shiny new features would be much farther down the list behind issues like this. Take the basic tools. maps, poly, UV and get them right finally. Look at the add ons out there and assume these additions have value. And for god sake please alon for custom defaults for every input. Why do I have to adjust the setting on the relax dialogue of UVW, or quad chamfer every single time I open them. This type of nonsense is what infuriates people. how can you add fancy wheels to a car when the door handle, radio, and window wipers are just broken???
OccultMonk
Advocate

I agree that rock solid stability is the most important. Then please focus on useful modeling innovations. Not the fancy stuff people very rarely use! Stability, Basic feature improvements and useful new features like boolean mesh blending (Modo meshfusion).

3DS Max still has a place as one of the best 3D Modeling applications! Not just for existing users. Maya is not better for modeling, nor Modo (though they have a lot more innovation). The core of 3DS Max does not have to be rewritten. The interface could use some better workflows and nicer design (especially for new users). But without breaking old scripts/workflows, please. 

Autodesk only has to assign more resources and make the price point more attractive. The decline can still be halted! This current road will not end well for Autodesk, 3DS Max or even Maya or for their users that have dedicated a great part of their lives mastering these programs.

I am a long time user of 3DS Max and I am heavily invested in it. I know the program very well, use hotkeys for almost any function and have also used Maxscript to create all sorts of automated workflows (More than 50.000 lines of code).

RobTurner7779
Participant

Kinda snarky suggestion...but quite serious. I'm tired of being an "odd year" release beta tester. I pay for solid software every year. I use very few of the new features, because they simple are not well integrated, and usually never get revised. Its a long cycle of new feature sets that are broken the first year of release, and forgotten the next. My favorite "new feature" was IRAY. After 8 years it finally was getting integrated well with different maps etc... Well.... I just paid to have that removed. (different rant...)

Anyway... Given each user pays between $600 and $1500 per year, it seems that money could be used to make 3Ds Max more stable.  Every year. If there are 1000 paying users, the income @ an average of $1k would be around 1 million dollars. I imagine the user base far surpasses 1,000.

I personally would like to know the percentage of my maintenance $$ that is actually used to further develop the program. My intuition tells me very little, and I don't think I'm alone here.  This is creating a very disenfranchised community of users. When development stops and users leave, the world we knew as 3ds Max will simply implode. I am already steering young people away from Max due to my own impression of its long term viability. This makes me sad.

This, to me is the greatest issue facing the future of 3ds Max. Seriously.

Tags (4)
jibijib
Collaborator

Most of the things work in Max - it's that some things are blatantly broken that haven't been fixed yet.

Unfortunately, they're the ones I use the most - I've been using workarounds for years, would be nice to just see them finally fixed.

michael_spaw
Autodesk

My recommendation to everyone is when possible please individually list your ideas. This is especially important when it comes to improvements. This way, we can target the most requested, and narrow in on specifically you want to see addressed. It takes a bit more time than a blanket post, but we really want to use the ideas board as a hit list of items to address.

Thanks!

-Michael

Michael Spaw

3ds Max, Product Owner/Designer

Media and Entertainment Division

jibijib
Collaborator

We have done that Michael Spaw, I'm still waiting three versions later for ones I have been reported to be fixed. I even enquired to staff from autodesk (Max team) when we had a meeting with them in work in 2013 and 2014.

The amount of bugs that are fixed in the next version isn't good enough - you put level of importance on amount of votes they got of random users and not on how broken it is.

It gets painful when you've been using the same crappy work around for three or four years, I hope you understand.

Isaac_Zuniga
Advocate

Same here jibijib, same here.

However, my issues that I've had with 3ds Max are not "massive" as others' issues. Likewise, I have pointed out numerous issues with 3ds Max 2018 to technical support. I am hoping that they can be resolved in an update for 3ds Max 2018, or completely fixed in 3ds Max 2019.

Kelly_Michels
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

jens.diemer
Collaborator
Take a look to: https://github.com/jedie/3dsmax_bugs and https://github.com/jedie/3dsmax_patches maybe some of the bugs are already fixed. Pull requests are welcome.
Vistral
Enthusiast

Hi!

Thanks for the Info on "Improve your productivity with these new features" for subscribes!

But this feels like a bad joke to me if i just take a look on the stability and "ready for production" Value of 2017 and 2018.. its none.

we will go back to 3dsmax 2016 because 2017 and 2018 are really  products that crash 1-2 times per hour and dondt work for me.

2017 robbed me so much lifetime with its 10 times slower loading and crashing i will skip anything until 2020 .. 2019 is an uneven number and uneven relkeases have allways been .......  new features are useless if the whole thing is an instable mess!!!!!

sorry for this but i had worked with 2017 for half a year and i am so pissed because its just robbing my lifetime..!! 

"Improve your productivity with these new features" !!! SERIOUSLY???

STABILITY is the only feature we need.

I really makes me sad that i dont see any improvement in the last 2 releases. i love 3dsmax for 20 years and it makes me sad ;((

attilaszabo
Alumni

Hi Vistral,

I'm 110% with you on this.

Given the size of Max and the size of our team, in order to make an improvement in stability or performance, we would greatly appreciate your input into what area of Max needs more of our attention.

If it's modeling, try to give us a specific modifier or tool.

If it's File IO, tell us if it's import\export of a certain type or object xrefs?

Thanks

-Attila

electrotoast_old
Community Manager

@Vistral I'm sorry you had a bad experience with 2017-2018. Since Update 3, we have drastically improved the stability of 3ds Max 2018, even passing that of 2016. Between the new technologies implemented such as QT based UI and Arnold 5 that required newer processors to run, we have also run into many issues with Windows Updates and video drivers from Nvidia and AMD.

As Attila mentioned, we would like to know some specific areas where you were crashing. Also, when you do crash, make sure to submit the CERs. That's one of our best tools to triage these things. We do read them and we group them based on area of the application the crash happened.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report