Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gradient ramp -- update UI

Gradient ramp -- update UI

The gradient ramp UI has got to be almost 20 years old.  It is very tedious to use when you want to define a complex gradient with a lot of flags.

Please update the UI.

Make the ramp image itself able to either be zoomed in and out (for careful flag placement) -- or preferably, make it a resizable pop-out window so we can make it much larger on the display.  The small Mat Ed dialog is very confining.

15 Comments
electrotoast_old
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

RGhost77
Advisor

And please make it usable in maxscript as map, and standalone gradient UI element.

Isaac_Zuniga
Advocate

Please do update the gradients, because on 4K displays, the handles are so tiny that even scaling doesn't fix. Like Backburner, can we get an update to this feature, or a complete overhaul?

MontroseDigital
Participant

So many beautiful shaders could be made with the fine tuning the gradients and and mix curves.  Now the Gradient/Mix Curve UI is limited to the width of the material editor UI and very fine tweaking is impossible.   This would add a ton of shader possibilities to max with tweaking an existing feature.

Swordslayer
Advisor

If you're not afraid of a bit of maxscript, you can have a resizeable curve ui for any of the curve controls in max. See edit curve control.

michael_spaw
Autodesk

Thanks for the Idea.

Michael Spaw

3ds Max, Product Owner/Designer

Media and Entertainment Division

electrotoast_old
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

brentscannell
Alumni
Status changed to: Under Review

Hi @davision

I hear the devs are cooking something up with this. I'll move this over to under-review status while I gather some more specifics.

Isaac_Zuniga
Advocate

Exciting for sure, I cannot wait for better 4k support with the gradient ramp handles! 🙂

dswahn
Advocate

Something that also needs updating is the position values for individual 'flags'.
This value needs to be float rather than integer.

I know you can set decimals through Trackview, but it's tedious to have to go there when you need to place flags with decimal precision.  

3dsmax_2019-02-14_11-09-06.png

samuel.enslin
Explorer

Would also be great if changes were undoable...

panel01
Participant

Would be great as an OSL map if something like this is possible with all the UIcontrols.

joeaf9321
Enthusiast

I agree with this one and also:

What about the Values Adjustment Curve in Color Map in the Output of Bitmap Map and similars, it could be heavily improved to something like in Photoshop, so the user can handle easily the points just click to create and drag, you can even add tangents.

Max Color Map CurveMax Color Map Curve

Photoshop CurvesPhotoshop Curves

the UI style has to be updated as well

How is the Softimage and Modo ones look like. Can someone provide some images ?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report