Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Search material should do it regardless word order

Search material should do it regardless word order

If you use X over the Max display the search works correctly.

But in the search box of the material editor if you type "sky" only will appear the names that start with the word sky and won't if "sky" is the second word in the name. 

Then if you type "sky" physical sky won't appear. You need to know exactly the name of what you are looking for, defeating a bit the purpose of a search box.

No resultsNo results

7 Comments
RGhost77
Advisor

You can use wildcards. In your example: *sky .

KarlAkimor
Advisor

Thanks, I was not aware that it could need them as X doesn't need it. 

I think yet it should not be need it. This typically would mean typing first Sky (nothing found) and then *sky in a two steps operation that is not needed when using X. There is no advantage forcing the user to write * and would be more consistent.

The search engine already assume a * in the right there is no reason to assume a * in the left.

RGhost77
Advisor

I can't agree. "sky" word will return long-list of all shaders where "sky" word is presents. Wildcards more advanced method to search and in result I can get more precisely result. 
Libraries can contains thousand materials, so making search working like "X" command will not make it easy.
Btw search support not only *, but also ?...

Same functionality with wildcards works in Layer/Scene explorer. So I hope it will stay unchanged.

KarlAkimor
Advisor

Wildcards are not used with X, in Substance Painter library search, in Google search, WORD search and a long etc and I don’t think they would be better using wildcards, in my opinion.

The problem of wildcards is that they potentially follow different rules depending of the program and you end trying in too many ways to do the same search. It’s less intuitive, especially in a context that is not consistent as MAX. All searches should work the same.

For searching in X they place first the tools that start with that name, simplifying the search.

When using Arnold, two names appear with the work sky (the left column search) I guess there is a chance that a user could have more than 100 named materials, as probably they are as standard in the library of Substance Painter. It should not be a problem as it is not for the other search engines.

RGhost77
Advisor

Oh come on! Why Google why not Facebook will be "standard" of searching? 🙂 But, even google has search parameters like "or", "-", "*"... I don't know for sure, but it seems you don't used it. 
Having written to you I realize that will be good if search in MAX was has operators like Windows Explorer has or Google.
So search can be "*sky kind:Standard" where kind: operators include in search result only if material has class Standard.

p.s. Defacto, standard of app it is OS, not another poor coded app or social network for housewives :-).

KarlAkimor
Advisor

I know, but they are not compulsory and that is what I suggest. I would have no problem doing it non compulsory and that probably would be a good solution for both. If you use wildcards you would have a more refined search and without them you would have all results using that word regardless of the position. That would allow advanced users without confusing the rest.

is this still not a thing in new SME?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report