Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rework on AEC Doors Windows Stairs etc.

Rework on AEC Doors Windows Stairs etc.

I think that AEC Objects deserve some big rework.

We'd love to use them but they are definitely way too simple. Even don't have important details like handles...

15 Comments
Ehsan.Sarahian
Advocate

Use MCG for AEC pack like : http://www.tresd1.com.br/noticia/64350

Upgrade old AEC pack and add new one like cabine, floor, roof and etc.

recker71
Contributor

Hi,

is there an english description also available?

recker71
Contributor

And also the Stairs i.e quater-turn or half-turn

passariello
Collaborator

I disagree...

AEC are good tools.

Do u want an handle in a door?.... use an attach controller and game is done....

recker71
Contributor

I didn't say they are useless - i said they need improvement. Quater-turn or Half-turn Stairs aren't done with just attaching a little handle on a AEC....

leochester
Advocate

Totally agree. Better AEC tools are long, long overdue.  Its about time that particular industry received some love from AD inside of 3dsMax. I would like much expanded door,window,stair tools & also a railing took - and add in some elevator/escalator tools too. A roof builder too would be great. 

leochester
Advocate

also the wall tool could be way, way better. & why not include a flooring tool. How about integrating some built in finishes- for example, it would be great to have a wall tool that also allowed you to specify some geometry based tiling. I'm a huge fan of CG-Source "Floor Generator" - we use it all the time for floors, and also for walls. Would love to see something like that added to the AEC walls (which as they currently stand i never use based on past experiences)

Kelly_Michels
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Tupaia
Advocate

Ideally, they should become BIM objects, complying to the standards.

RGhost77
Advisor

I hope AEC objects will be removed because 3ds max not CAD add-on.  Corresponding with that idea https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-max-ideas/3dsmax-marketing-should-show-other-stuff-than-architect... 3ds max must go away from architectural addiction.

Tupaia
Advocate

3ds Max is a general-purpose 3d application. At least, Autodesk never claimed it to be a 'visualization tool', and neither an 'effects tool'.

Which is a good thing!

Both fractions - 'effecties' and 'visualizies' - need to learn to live together harmoniously. ; }

That means, we should not pull too many ropes on who gets his next feature.

I'm more the 'visualizie' (studying architecture), but not only.

In fact, I never used these AEC objects. They feel a bit crappy.

But since they exist - either remove them, or update them to something really usable -> BIM objects (which I need and use in CAD programs).

recker71
Contributor

So if they never claimed to be a "visualization tool" i'm wondering why there was the 3ds Max Architectual Design Edition
Tupaia
Advocate

Good point... however, it was called "3ds Max Design", and the difference to the other version was (confusingly) minor. It's retired anyway now.

What I meant is, it was of course never a 'pure' architectural creation and visualization tool (like maybe Sketchup), but a general purpose 3d app, with animation in mind right from the start also.

Why it gained this good foothold in the visualization realm could be due to it's good spline-to-polygon workflow, and of course VRay.

recker71
Contributor

Sure - it was always a little bit strange which way 3ds max will go...serving 2 masters isn't healthy.

But i got the feeling i know the AEC Tools since 3D Studio Viz R3 and they didn't changed since then...and this is the point: autodesk should leave 'em or put them up-to-date

Tupaia
Advocate

@recker71wrote:

autodesk should leave 'em or put them up-to-date

You say it! 3ds Max is so full of legacy stuff... Long and complicated story. Backwards compatibility and such.

In the case of those AEC objects, I'd say it would be the cleanest solution if Max became a BIM/IFC application - in some way.

Related wish

Thing is, Autodesk already has a big fat BIM solution - Revit.

Should Max also be able to edit and export BIM objects, or should it only be able to import BIM files (hopefully not only Revit, which it already supports) for rendering or animation?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report