Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reliable way to save and restore user settings

Reliable way to save and restore user settings

There NEEDS to be a much better way to store all user settings for the interface. Right now there are some settings that CAN be saved and restored, but others cannot. I recently had 3DS max crap out on me and drop all of my settings. Luckily, I saved out my Custom UI scheme the day before, but many things do not get saved, so I need to manually fix them. I feel that at least the following items should be completely saveable and restorable, and preferably transferrable reliably and easily from installation to installation. Particularly useful when setting up a new machine, etc.

1. User installed Scripts

2. Keyboard Shortcuts

3. Menus

4. Material editor layout, default materials, etc.

5. Toolbars

6. User Paths

7. System Paths

8. Modifier Sets

9. Quads

10. Colors

11. Mouse

12. ??

Please feel free to add to this list. 🙂

8 Comments
adam
Participant

It is not a fancy feature but this is really important. With network user accounts (i.e. prefs are stored on the server) if you inadvertently open a copy of max while another is already is the process of booting up, it will corrupt the UI config settings and the user is force to revert setting - painful waste of operator time.

Kelly_Michels
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

brentscannell
Alumni

Hi @pmeadows

I'm happy to say that we're actively looking this! We're going to be focusing more on the UI settings at first, but we could get to general user settings further on down the line.

electrotoast_old
Community Manager
Status changed to: Accepted

paulneale
Collaborator

One of the issues with the way Max saves UI settings and customization you really can't load them into the next version of Max when you upgrade. 

If you customize your menus as I always do and then load that into the next version of Max you will remove any new menus or items that have been added to that new version of Max. 

To get around this issue for the last 20 years I have had a script that rebuilds my menus by adding my items to the existing menu instead of over writing it. Would be great if this sort of system was built in where you can load the changes and not just blow away everything that is there. 

neonredtokyo
Contributor

Accepted: in 2018.

C'mon. This is a much needed feature. Pleaaaaaase. Seriously, I would rather this be implemented than sculpting tools (who's gonna use sculpting inside 3ds max anyway, most professionals use Zbrush). So unless you're planning for me to not have to use zbrush anymore, please just iron these more simpler but more useful things out.

jeffpanek3d
Participant

It literally takes me an entire day to reload all my scripts , reset my UI settings, re add all my modifier sets....

This is so painful!!  One of the reasons i never update to latest version.

arqrenderz
Enthusiast

Keep calm, its just 4 years since the petition got accepted!! jeez this is not a free software guys!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report