Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New VFB Virtual Frame buffer

New VFB Virtual Frame buffer

So now that we have Arnold it's seriously time for a new framebuffer. Talk with solid angle and look at other examples out there but it's really time. 

some minimum requirements.

-Save versions and various ways to compare

-IPR mode. if you look at the recent Vray Frame buffer updates you can easily use IPR, stop it and start a production render.

-load LUTs and colour profiles.

-Basic Colour correction

-All AOVs and passes in one window with the ability to scroll through while the render continues.

-select objects and/or materials

-pick DOF focus

22 Comments
RGhost77
Advisor

It would be good to integrate VFB+ in future version of 3dsmax.
VFB+ thread: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=6&t=1001902

rotemlo
Enthusiast

VFB+ is now free for use.

http://www.monotoneminimal.com/vfb

Isaac_Zuniga
Advocate

This would most definitely be a nice feature, shame they canned Mental Ray, 'cause Autodesk would need to make this implementation modular with any new render engine.

The proposed VFB+ plugin sounds nice, I just wish Autodesk would implement it internally with their software...

StephenMF
Collaborator

VFB+ is now free...

http://www.monotoneminimal.com/vfb

Is it good enough?

Of course build in is still better.

Stephen

companioncube
Collaborator

i really want a new native VFB tuned for arnold. 

eugenio_miolo
Advocate

Unfortunately there isn't a max 2018 version of VFB+, so all we have for Arnold is standard 3dsmax VFB. And one more time, a native solution is always better.

Kelly_Michels
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

michael_spaw
Autodesk

+1

-Michael

Kelly_Michels
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

rotemlo
Enthusiast

@eugenio_miolo There is VFB+ for 3dsmax 2018 by now. But yeah, I agree that the possibilities with a native implementation not reliant on the SDK are greater if done properly.

nbendala
Participant

It would be really nice to have a "memo-regions" feature on the VFB as in Softimage, which allows to store, compare, and recall scene settings from stored renders.

passariello
Collaborator
please.... take in consideration a good color correction, tone mapping, exposure control and post production on render frame window.
Like Corona or Vray we need the final restyling of this tool to have a real good strument in max.
Tags (4)
michael_spaw
Autodesk

Noted.

Michael Spaw

3ds Max, Product Owner/Designer

Media and Entertainment Division

passariello
Collaborator
Thank you ... I think that really important!!!
Harlyo
Contributor

yeah it would really be helpful ! comparing Vray FB to 3ds max its very basic , we need to make adjustments during & after the render lots of them . 

panel01
Participant

In my opinion the VFB should be "just" a very open framework with a good API, with python and for example CTL  support. Autodesk should provide a set of well designed base features, and any 3rd party render engines or user can  easily implement their own workflows, tools to extend it.

Support OpenColorIO systemwise, max needs to be fully color managed, we write 2019 now, and it's basically an visual content creation tool, without color management, working in device color space. Dear god.

LUT, ICC, etc. and OCIO nodes in the material editor too of course.

Please think about multiple monitors, should be dockable anywhere, in the viewport or full screen without any bordes, etc. the controls shouldn't disturb the image.

Or maybe there shouldn't be anything specific as a "VFB" anymore, you should be able to do all of these in a simple viewport or in any window. 

Miriam_Cardoso
Community Visitor

Coming from Corona to Arnold, I really miss the VFB they had. I am using the VFB+ at the moment, but nothing guarantees that will work in future 3ds max releases. Like panel01 said, the ability to do some colour management would be extremely useful. Saving a render, open Nuke, Photoshop or Fusion and apply the nodes and colour corrections isn't a viable solution and very time consuming. 

Honestly, try to do something like VFB+ in Max.

CiroCardoso3v
Advisor

A big reason why Arnold isn't used more in visualization is a clear lack of a good frame buffer. If you want to make Arnold a good option comparing to Corona or Vray, then please start with the frame buffer. I am on a studio where 30 artist will not use Arnold because of the lack of a frame buffer.

How can this be in Future Consideration since 2017? How hard is to implement a frame buffer like Maya? There is no garantuee that VFB will work in the future.

f_coltro
Contributor

I'm trying to move to Arnold Render since in 2021 release it is the default render, but with the lack of a bold frame window it is difficult to migrate. If at least we have something like Maya has (arnold renderview).

Thank you!

eugenio_miolo
Advocate

Arnold VFB is on the roadmap as you can see here under Future:
http://makeanything.autodesk.com/3DSMAX/public-roadmap-25B1-201DB.html#rendering-future

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report