Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multithreading of core modifiers

Multithreading of core modifiers

The modifiers that we use every day, and result in heavy wait times; specifically those with the ability to add LOD.  Turbosmooth, Meshsmooth, etc., need to be multithreaded.  Going between levels can require a user to sit and wait while max thinks about it, using as little as 6% of the CPU.

39 Comments
5vil
Advocate

Yeah, more than 90% of the times max hanging on something is when it uses less than 10% of total CPU power for that task. Only one single logical core performed the task on it own everything else staying idle. That's contrary.

mbreidt
Advocate

Let's start a list of modifier candidates.

Here's mine:

• Relax
  • Vertex Weld
  • Flex
  • Vol. Select
Isaac_Zuniga
Advocate

I didn't know that these were single-threaded to begin with. If that's true, then yes, I believe that a future release of 3ds Max should definitely have support for as many threads as possible for the basic modifiers. (At least 4 threads per basic modifier, BARE MINIMUM, in my opinion.)

aon.914858227
Mentor

This should be 'improve performance of core modifiers'. Because it`s not important how.....well i have explained this over and over again to you guys and i`m tired of it.

3dcorner
Enthusiast

Just let 3ds max utilize more than one core while working on the project - UI redraws, modifiers, material editor, autosave etc. All things that on complex scenes make work painful and many of them use just only one thread !!!

Rendering is arleady multithreaded - I know 😉 Most of the time you not rendering but working in laggy UI wich should respond quickly to the user inputs.

Workstations from very long time have more than one core - let 3ds max use some more of them on daily workflow.
So... Dev Team, pease concentrate on features that was forgoten from 20 years

Tags (5)
sasukekun
Community Visitor

Its about time, thats why our company rarely used 3ds max.

3dcorner
Enthusiast

sasukekun - what alternative do you use ? 

Isaac_Zuniga
Advocate

Frankly, I'm surprised this wasn't already a 3ds Max component. Multithreaded applications such as Modo and Blender exist; Blender's free, 3ds Max is not, I guess Autodesk doesn't see multithreaded workflows as an "important feature"?

This is not 2005 anymore, computers do have more than 2 cores, letalone 2 threads, can we please get this running in 3ds Max?

dgorsman
Consultant

@Isaac_Zuniga - this Idea: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-max-ideas/multithreading-of-core-modifiers/idi-p/6788417

I should point out that most of Blender is single-threaded, there is very little that is multi-threaded.  I do not know about Modo or C4D but if they are using established processing algorithms then it's unlikely they are multi-threaded for those features either.  Its not a matter of "newness" or "technical capability", it's the procedures that are being done.  If the process cannot be divided down into smaller operations that are completely independent from each other then its not a matter of toggling a check box or re-arranging some code - a new algorithm must be found or created.

gandhics
Advocate

Skin/Skinwrap and a few other modifiers were multi-threaded in 2014 already.

YOu better specify which modifier you want.

3dcorner
Enthusiast
Kelly_Michels
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

dgorsman
Consultant

Exactly.  If there's room for only one shovel, then it doesn't matter how many workers are present.  Sure, they could dig extra holes around the first, but what good is that going to do?  Smiley Happy

gandhics
Advocate

Multi-threading is not like just-turning-on-multi-thread-switch.

More and more portion of 3dsMax are slowly multi-threaded.

But, it is long time consuming process, and sometimes it is almost impossible.

aslantamjidi
Advocate
How many Votes need for this idea to gain a "Under Review" status??? and hopefully "Implemented"??? this feature will rise up 3Ds MAX entirely. A serious issue for all users. thanks again.
TarValley
Observer

Yes, please. This one of the reasons why we are abandoning 3dsmax. Modern projects demand multithreading. 

gandhics
Advocate

K.. i also really want to have this.

But, " why we are abandoning 3dsmax"??? 

What's other app which fully multi-threaded everywhere?

Maya? No. C4D? No. Houidini? No.

3dsMax is still fastest among all even as is...

onitreb
Enthusiast

Cebas complains about the lack of multithreading support in 3DS Max as a huge problem in getting their thinking particles plugin to function well. It is astounding that a big FX company like Scanline could possibly use Max to create VFX. 

What we're experiencing is the true dark side of the subscription model (ie. yearly releases). What most of us complain about in Max are LEGACY problems. Slow tools, an ancient 1990's interface, 100 old broken tools (anyone tried to use Fog or volume fog lately?) that were half-baked to begin with (array tool? Nurbs modeling? Subds?).

What max needs is a major back end overhaul of mid-90's code. But that is NEVER going to happen. And they're not going to multithread your favorite broken tool. Why? Because you can't do that in the 9 month turnaround or whatever they give themselves to pump out yearly releases.

It's an ancient piece of software and it'll stay that way. We should get used to it or start a new software company. 

KarlAkimor
Advisor

This OpenSubdiv for MAX is multi Thr. and 20 times faster that the one included in MAX. It shows how in some cases help. Even if instead 20 is 5. Max can adopt it gradually.

http://www.magicpics.com/mps/mps_opensubdiv.html

RGhost77
Advisor
@KarlAkimor I don't think that speedup achieved with multithread, most of speedup of this plugin because it converts object to mesh like Turbosmooth. But anyway MagicPictures version of opensubdiv much much better that crap in 3ds max.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report