Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

add baking for Mikk TSpace normal maps and support for viewport and rendering

add baking for Mikk TSpace normal maps and support for viewport and rendering

add baking for Mikk TSpace normal maps and support for viewport display and rendering of Mikk TSpace normal maps 

13 Comments
musashidan77
Advocate

With MikkT now the standard tangent basis that unifies the workflow(pretty much all modern DCC/baking solutions/game engines/etc have incorporated or are built on this tangent basis) I think it's high time Max reflected this. Max was one of the first DCC to introduce texture baking but, the RTT tools are now hopelessly outdated(comparatively)

The MikkT code is open source and could easily be introduced as an option, especially considering that there is already 3xoptions in the Preferences Settings(Normal Bump Mode) dialogue.

michael_spaw
Autodesk

+1

Thanks

-Michael

Kelly_Michels
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

revel68
Advocate

This would be incredibly helpful.  RTT was one of the biggest reasons to use 3dsMax and made things very powerful.  The normal maps currently don't really work for anything.  A solution for things like Unreal Engine would be amazing.

musashidan77
Advocate

I've posted both of these as separate ideas on here. Max is long overdue for an update in this area. 🙂

Harlyo
Contributor

i think we do need that

brentscannell
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Anonymous
Not applicable

i read online a lot of people are buying max modeling in it and rendering in blender just because of the fact thier substance painter normals don't  work in max 

here is but one of meny examples https://polycount.com/discussion/199830/normal-map-displayed-flawless-in-marmoset-bad-in-3ds-max-vra...

i did not pay 1800 dollers for 3ds max(when you include taxes from reseller) to render in blender!

max was meant for both the archviz and the gaming industrys and now you need to choose do you want your model to work with max or with your game engine i am not saying replace the thing but add to arnold a mikkt or max tangent option so game models will work in max

nearly every 3d seller is forced to sell the same model as game + max version with no way to ensure it will look good in both

and it is hurting the 3d industry as a whole please fix this

brentscannell
Alumni
Status changed to: Accepted

Are you guys in our beta program yet? We have a prototype in the testing phase, we'd love for you to try it out

companioncube
Collaborator

Thanks Brent. I'm on the beta, i'll download it today and try some bakes. Thanks to everyone on the Dev team who are working on this. Is it ok to create a few posts on polycount and other game dev sites calling for beta testers to try it out?

brentscannell
Alumni

You're more than welcome to refer them over to this post or to reach out to me directly about the beta program. I'd be more than happy to get as many eyes as possible on this.

shawnolson
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

We have added MikkT normals into Max. You can now bake these with the new Bake to Texture Tool in 3ds Max 2021. For MikkT to be displayed correctly in the viewport, you must also set the option under Customize > Preferences > General > Normal Bump Mode.

teratron
Advocate

This is great, but they still don't render (not bake) correctly in Arnold when you use them on a mesh.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report