AREA Community - The Largest CG Forum on the Web
3ds Max Ideas
Welcome to the new Autodesk 3ds Max Ideas Community! For information on this space, please see the following article: http://autode.sk/3dsMaxFeedbackPost
New Idea

Automatic Retopology Tools

by Participant msunderwood on ‎01-12-2017 07:31 AM

I would love to see tools in Max that allow us to clean up crappy CAD models and high poly count geometry into usable, "watertight" meshes with the click of a few buttons. Something along the lines of ZRemesher/Dynamesh, but with more options to deal with meshes that have holes or unwelded verts. 

Enhancing viewport canvas to be something like maxon bodypaint, (with faster response when using bigger textures, with projection things from part of image to a object, etc..)

File open in Xref Dialog

by Collaborator papaf1 on ‎03-03-2017 01:55 PM

Make a right click file open option when selecting a file in the Xref dialog box.

Max needs a fast an easy way to setup sticky points/clusters,

also called dorito effect,

like in these videos:

Populate function

by Participant jparkWD9NJ on ‎03-23-2017 04:33 PM

Hi,

Although the populate function for animating people has been enhanced greatly, it would be great if we have an option that we can create flows for stairs. I know there's a ramp option but the angle for ramp isn't cover more steep angles which Landscape architecture firms are frequently facing.

Thanks,

Jiwon

I come from maya and i think its really sad that the feature delete all unused nodes does not excist in 3ds max wich in some cases with testing different textures lead to having a scene full of unused materials - Really?

I thought this feature was in all 3d programs it seems like such and easy thing to implement and also extremly usefull to cleanup the scene.

so this is the easies way to do this command but i think maby add a button or keybind that has this feature

''via MaxScript Listener window simply type:

$*.material = undefined

After you type that script, extract and run this .MCR script from the Scripting drop-down Menu -> Run Script...

http://www.digitalanimation.net/maxscripts/DAS_PurgeUnusedMaterials1.1.zip

Right-click the toolbar -> Customise...

Then browse to the Toolbars Tab, Group 'Main UI', Category 'DAS Tools' and from the Action list click and drag 'DAS Purge Materials' to a free slot on any toolbar on the screen.

Now: Open the Slate Material Editor or The Compact Material Editor and then Click the new button on the toolbar. 

this script will delete all materials from your Editor... even used ones.

To check that it has worked: Click the [MAX] file menu button ->  References -> Asset Tracking -> File -> Refresh''

Hope this feature gets added in soon! :)

Would be great if when importing an autocad drawing, the imported linework could maintain the clipping boundaries established from within autocad. that would save a lot of hassle in dealing with imported drawings.

Now that Apple has discontinued QuickTime for PC, Max needs a new codec to output movie files, particularly when producing a viewport animation preview (shift-V). Any new codec would ideally need to be royalty-free, support 4k resolutions and up, and support modern HDR colour spaces. That narrows the field down to pretty much Google's VP9, read more here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VP9

H.265 would be an alternative, but as it's proprietary, there would likely be licensing issues.

We really need a performace boost, we're falling behind...

Dialogue Box Retriever

by Explorer canonvela on ‎03-30-2017 06:56 AM

I use three monitors running from a high spec laptop so that I can take my work away with me. The problem is that, when away, I only have the single screen on the laptop.

If I run 3ds Max the layers rollup, for instance, will always appear on screen if I click its icon on the ribbon, but the render setup dialogue box will not: because it is displaying on a non-existant screen somewhere to my left.

There is a tortuous way to retrieve it, but I have to keep Googling it. Life would be a lot simpler if there was a button that called all windows and dialogue boxes to the centre to be rearranged at will.

0 Kudos

Now Bone Properties and Object Properties are 2 different windows,

Object properties should also have the bone properties at the bottom.

I would like the ability to interrupt or escape any command or process. For example, entering very large values into some input boxes (usually by mistake) can cause Max to try and complete requests which will eventually cause a crash. The ability to stop Max processing these functions would avoid a crash. At the moment, only some processes allow you to cancel them, I propose all commands/processes should be interruptible.

Loooooong time limitation, please make procedural maps display in viewport correct ... we're in 2017 now. So far, the only workaround we found is to use Neil Blevins' TexMap Preview script: while it's great, it's not the ideal solution. We pay subscriptions / licenses, please fix useful things.

Thanks.

Timeline Range Manager

by Explorer ggrimsby on ‎04-23-2017 06:42 AM

Hello!

I believe it would benefit animators to have a animation range manager build into 3DS MAX.  This has been rebuilt by most of the studios I have worked for because we work with multiple animations in one max file.

Here is a version of this scripted by Dim Walker and modified by myself:

control01.JPG

This version saves the names and ranges into the root Appdata so it transfers with the file. Anyone with the script gets the definitions too.

What can this do?

1)lets you define a named range

2)controls the start and end frame of the timeline

3)delete a named range

4)rename a named range

5)re-define a range's frame start and end

6)Sort named ranges by name or Frame start.

7)Next keyframe/previous keyframe

This makes working with multiple animations in a single MAX file MUCH quicker for the animator and allows easier collaboration.

After 20 years, its time to get this functionality in the software as an included part so that team members and students don't have to install it themselves.  Note that studios could add custom scripting to customize the manager to do other things.  I have mine extended to export out each named range.

Thanks!

-Greg

This will be one of the biggest usability improvements to Max since long time if implemented. Please make it possible to scroll in panels even when the mouse cursor is OVER buttons. icons and fields. It will be so much easier to scroll within panels. This is already possible in the Material/Map Browser of Slate Material Editor but sadly it's the only place where that's possible.

At the moment you need to first find safe space where there are no buttons/icons/fields and only after that try to scroll. Sometimes it's so annoying when you want to scroll but you accidentally hit a button/icon/field. It will save so much time on finding safe spaces in the interface for scrolling and won't take away our concentration.

Blender already has this and scrolling in panels is JOY not a PAIN like in Max. Just try it out yourselves and you'll see what I mean. You'll never want to go back to the way you scroll in Max.

scroll over buttons icons fields.png

Nvidia FLEX in 3ds Max!

by Enthusiast KristofferHelander on ‎12-08-2016 03:12 PM

Integrate the unified PhysX technology called FLEX into 3ds Max and Particle Flow in order to simulate different types of physics in the same system, here are some examples.

•Liquids (water, goo)
•Granular materials (sand, dirt)
•Environmental cloth (flags, newspapers)
•Rigid bodies (environmental debris)
•Soft bodies (inflatables / tetrahedral meshes)

Check out this live demonstration and don't miss the WATER BALLOONS at 2:45! :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF1_Lo3Z3G4

Here is some more info from PhysXinfo.com
http://physxinfo.com/news/11860/introducing-nvidia-flex-unified-gpu-physx-solver/

Somtimes a service pack gets messed up, and it completely messes up max; and they don't always show up under add/remove programs.  The ability to uninstall an SP means a user won't lose an hour to a reinstall... hopefully...

Kris.

Archived as not needed, already available.

Kelly Michels

Sr 3ds Max QA

3ds Max Beta manager

Layer Explorer enhancements

by Contributor tsyba on ‎03-03-2017 01:16 AM

The layer's color should appear as shown on a picture.

This greatly simplifies orientation in a large number of layers.

UVW Map Modifier Update

by Contributor Momadarch on ‎04-17-2017 01:01 AM

I would like to see and update on UVW Map Modifier, That makes it easy to apply a texture on a curved model, For example, a curved roadway.Capture 2.JPGCapture.JPG

Enhance procedurals

by Enthusiast mekene on ‎02-03-2017 12:41 AM

Procedurals maps are very useful. They could be improved to make them more powerful : offer more noise types, more controls, etc .

An excellent starting point would be looking into BerconMaps

Submit Your Ideas

Share and shape product ideas.

Submit an idea
Idea Guidelines

Please review our Idea guidelines and best practices before posting a new idea, or voting on an existing one!